Hosting anemone

SeaSquirt05

How long does it usually take for clowns to host an anemone? i put in the clowns and the nem on friday Feburary 11 but they havent even looked at it!

PIMPALA

first... the nem hosts the clown. not the other way around. lol

and even if you have the perfect combo, not every clown will be hosted by a nem. ive seen maroon clowns and RBTAs in the same tank with basically no interaction.

Pez

I guess it would depend how large your tank. smaller tank would mean they would notice it sooner. also what type of nem? bubble tip hosts almost all clowns but condy hosts none. I have two clowns that never hosted, but that is probably due to stress from other fish. what is the environment like in your tank?

Poonaka

I have 3 ocellaris clowns and they host in my LTA, RBTA and my torch coral. Took them about a month before they hosted. I wonder if tank raised clowns take a lot longer to figure things out.

SeaSquirt05

I asked the guy i bought the clowns from, and he told me it usually takes about a week or so? I let you guys know if they end up going into the anemone. Thanks for your responses!

DesertOrchid

I had a single percula clown and it never bothered anything.Then bought another percula that had been in a tank full of huge mushrooms and a monstrous maroon clown that both were trying to live amongst the mushrooms like anemones...kinda cool. I put the perc in my tank with the other one and the new one after a few days started to live in the colt coral...thought it was dead the first time I saw it!! Now they both are being hosted by the colt coral. It is really cool and not something I would have expected. No harm to the colt coral either...it seems to be thriving from the attention. No rhyme or reason that is for sure.