hospital tank question

Aquanoob

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been researching on here for a while now. I need to set up a hospital tank to combat MI. I didn't have a QT established before this. I understand that I can use water from the DT to start, but was wondering if it would be acceptable to throw in a few bio balls from my sump to help get the bio filter established quicker in the hospital tank. I only have a couple of other sponge type filters in the aquarium and I have recently cleaned them so don't believe they would be of much help. I have read extensively on this forum and other sources (especially the very informative posts be leebca) so I believe I understand what all I must do. I I was just wondering about the bio balls specifically being used to help jump start my hospital tank. Thanks in advance for any help!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah if your medicating the qt then you'll control the water params via water changes

reefle

yeah just used a simple hang on back filter or something like for freshwater tanks. Don't use carbon filters though as that will reduce the medication you put in. just use a simple sponge to get the big gunk out.

Like everyone else said you'll control ammonia through water changes. You'll need to check that and salinity daily if not multiple times a day and change water accordingly.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

ziggy

Good luck and really interested in how you step through this as a learning lesson on my part!

Please keep us updated

Aquanoob

Thanks for the advice all. I thought of another scenario and am about to post it as a new topic, please let me know what you think :)