HOLY... Shrimp???

saltwaterfarm

Ok... this may be the craziest thing I have ever seen! I was sitting on the sofa, checking out RS and I heard a splash. I have just set up another 3gal mini. I added a second peppermint shrimp yesterday. I look, of course, to see what the splash was (somewhat scared that it was the kitten in the tank). There are tons of these little things swimming in the water. I think it was a shrimp explosion. I have turned of the filter. Is it at all possible for them to live???
Sorry for the pics... they are not the best.
mini-100_1104.JPG

mini-100_1105.JPG

mini-100_1106.JPG

saltwaterfarm

I think it's the coolest thing ever!!! There isn't much in the tank... just the two "freaky" shrimp, some zoos, some worm rock, algae, and xenia. I would like to see a few of them survive though. I feel guilty if I helped them into the world and they can't survive :-(

lcstorc

Very cool! Hopefully some of them will live since you don't have many predators to eat them. Keep us posted if you see some growing up.

Tom Owens

Has been struck by the ban stick
That is slicker than cat crap on a linoleum floor!

You know, since there's not much in the tank that can actually eat them, I would think that a few of them could survive. I'd just try and keep an eye on the water peramiters...don't know if all the goo associated with that could be bad.

Regards,
Tom

saltwaterfarm

Thanks for all the kudos... I only see about a third (if that) of them this morning. It's kinda sad. Since I obviously have some breeders here, I'm not sure what to do. I searched the WWW last night and really didn't find anything encouraging about trying to raise these guys. I'm hoping that you guys will have some ideas on how to make this work...
Thanks Again,

Gibeon

Are they too small to be kept in one of those breeder net cages? If they can't escape, that may help keep some from being eaten and/or sucked into powerheads and filters.

saltwaterfarm

Gibeon... thanks for the idea! I googled and found some of those cage thingy's. So, I took a piece of that glad ware disposable stuff and poked a ton of holes in it. Cut the corners off the outer lip and hung it on the side of the tank. Caught about 20 of the little buggers with a tiny cup and put them in it.
I was really concerned about having no filtration especially considering that so many of these little guys were gone overnight. I have plugged the filter back in, and I am hoping for the best.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
The problem is going to be what to feed the tiny buggers ! Do these guys remain is suspension ? Well hope you can save some and congrats on the babies :thumbup:

saltwaterfarm

I am adding a drop of DT's phyto to their "room". I feed the tank rotifers and will probably drop a very small piece of that in there as well. I am also going to try baby brines... but, that will not happen until tuesday (if they are still here). I am assuming there is no suspension, since there is nothing visible. I am definitely no scientist though.