Hole placement for closed loop.

bwhit1406

I need some feedback on my layout for hole drilling. Black holes feed closed loop, red holes return from closed loop. Overflow feeds sump, White holes return from sump.
75.jpg
[/IMG]

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I like the layout, the only thing that you might want to change is the intakes for the closed loop, being that low in the tank they will be behind the rock so if something was to get in or up against the intake, you would have to break down your rock pile to get to them.

I would put them higher in the tank, making them easier to acess.

Just a thought, it looks like a good setup either way.

bwhit1406

good observation Eric. I was a little worried about the height but not for the reason you specified. This build will have a diy rockwall on the back glass, The intakes and returns will come out of holes in that wall. All the rock in the tank will be made into columns in the middle of the tank. So I should have easy access to intakes. My concern was sucking in sand being that low. I think I will bring them up a little to ease my worries about that. Since you have some experience with closed loops what do you think the minimum GPH I would need for this? I have a pump that would probably put out 1000 gph after headloss.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You are only planning to use one pump?

If that is the case, I would use something in the 2500gph rating feeding the four returns to tankand I would only use one intake for the CL pump.

If you are running two pumps then I would go with 1000gph each and the two intakes to the CL pumps.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
I don't think there is a down fall but I also don't see a benefit to it either, just unnecessary IMHO. It seem like you are making more work for yourself with the added hole and plumbing.

The way it looks to bring the two intakes together, you will be snaking the returns around them to make it back to the tank.

Are you using PVC to plumb this up or just rubber hose?

What size tank are you using, I forgot to ask. lol

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
IMHO if you are using one pump I would just go with on intake, if your worried about suction I don't think it would be a problem. I never had a problem when I had a 3000-3500gph pump on my 70 tall. It's been a while I forget the actual gph but it was a big external pump 1.5 inlet and outlets. Pics in my gallery no detail though sorry.

The overall plan looks good and I don't think even at the low level you will have any problems sucking sand.

Other than the issues mentioned, you have adresses the low level of the intakes, and the dual intakes for a single pump is just personal preferen. I think it's perfect!

bwhit1406

Thanks I will go with one intake and save a little money and time. I guess I need to decide on a pump so I can dial in what size holes I need. I have seen some used snapper's in the $150 range lately.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Another thought :) when you plumb it up make sure all you install valves to adjust flow to each inlet, also make sure the valves are accessible when your tank in the final position.

DaveK

To get back to the original question, where you place the holes depends upon what you want to get out of the closed loop.

The design you have is fine, if you want a large flow from the back of the tank.

What I wanted out of a closed loop was circulation along the sandbed surface, so I draw water from near the top of the tank and return it through a long "spray bar" run down the middle of the tank, just above the sandbed.

BTW, if your goal is general circulation, you may want to use pumps like Vortex or Tunze that can create almost random flow patterns when used with a controller.

When you plumb your pump I highly recommend using true double union valves on both the intake and output from the pump. This allows you to close the valves and remove the pump for service or maintenance, or even replace it.

Last edited: