HOB filter stopped working...

Curgan

:mad: :mad: :mad: so i have a small HOB filter, i turned all my pumps and filters off because i was doing a 25% water change, when i kicked the power back on, my HOB filter (which i use as a mini fuge) stopped working...

I took the chaeto and LRR out of the filter and have been trying to get it to work again... to no avail... anyone know anything about these marineland penguin filters?

dianezoo

Try to clean out all the impellers etc and when you put it back together fill it up again and set it up to run, if it still dosent start try using a cleaning magnet (magnafloat -used to clean the aquarium glass) next swipe it across across the motor with it plugged in to see if that dosent kickstart your filter. It may take a couple of swips. The magnet will pull or pull it internal motor to start up. I has worked for me.
D

jgking21

check the impeller, sometimes mine gets incrusted and won't turn. clean the metal bar that the impeller sit on. mine get incrusted with calcium and freezed up from time to time.

Curgan

well the impeller and all parts in the system are now really clean, and the magnet swiping isnt working either... any other thoughts? Maybe its an Omen to get a real fuge setup....

degibson84

when i shut down my filter i have to prime it before i plug it back in otherwise it sounds like it is just grinding away

Curgan

yea its primed and filled with water right now, when i plug it in however absolutly nothing happens.... no sounds no water movement... nothing...

dianezoo

dang, I hate when that happens, Im sorry the magnet trick didnt work. It usually does for me. Your unit could be burnt out. Did it run dry?