HOB air-bubbles

Witfull

heres an old school trick for the HOB overflow...at the top of the U-tube, drill a small hole and glue in a one-way checkvalve. then run some standard air-tubing down to the sump. start a syphon. this will pull any air bubble out and maintain a constant flow.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Hey Kim:

I think this is what Witty is talking about...Correct me if I am wrong Witty...

Cheers!
:hallo:

Attachments

• renaoneway.jpg
    renaoneway.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 139

Witfull

Rougiem said:
Hey Kim:

I think this is what Witty is talking about...Correct me if I am wrong Witty...

Cheers!
:hallo:
you are correct....its used to prevent air from running back up the tubing and into the U-tube.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So air INSIDE the U-Tube is creating the bubbles on the over-flow? I just thought it was from the increased surface tension because I don't have a skimmer "yet". Maybe I need to look a lil more closely into it.

Allen

waucedah_joe

But if your power goes out would the air line tubing siphon water to your sump? Know what I mean? thanks

I was wondering the same thing. Wouldn't that eventually break the siphon in the event of a power outage? Maybe a shutoff on that line would work better. Open valve, remove air from U-tube to establish siphon, close valve. I've got to stick a piece of airline up inside of the U-tube then suck out the air to establish a siphon then I pull out the airline.

mps9506

I have never used this method, but I don't believe that water really flows out through the tubing because it is on top of the J tube (or U tube). A valve to shut off flow might be a good saftey measure though.
I always just shoved the airline tubing up one side of the tube and sucked the air out with my mouth, and sometimes some water. It is important to have enough water flow through the tube to prevent bubbles from collecting in the pipe though. The flow should be rapid enough to push air right through the tube.

lcstorc

I have a piece of airline tube running from the top of a power head to the top of the u tube. This pushes the bubbles out before they can really form. Since I started this I have not lost suction once.

mps9506

I have a piece of airline tube running from the top of a power head to the top of the u tube. This pushes the bubbles out before they can really form. Since I started this I have not lost suction once.

Just out of curiosity what happens if the powerhead stops working?

lcstorc

I suppose eventuallu a bubble would build. So far it hasn't been a problem since it takes several days for a bubble to cuild up large enough to break the siphon. So far I have only had the power head off for a couple of hours at a time and that has not been a problem. We used to run it without the hose and it would be fine for up to a week.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ok I am totally confused. My HOB has tiny bubbles now and it's starting to annoy me. I have read this from top to bottom and I can' "envision" how I am supposed to run an airline to alleviate this situation.

Allen (Aka Clueless)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I am sitting here watching my tank and these air bubbles really SUCK! I gotta figure out how to make them go away!!

Allen

mps9506

This isn't for hob filters, but for overflow boxes that drain water into your sump. :)
Air bubbles in your filter are usually from having your water level too low or a leak in the tube somewhere.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
This isn't for hob filters, but for overflow boxes that drain water into your sump. :)
Air bubbles in your filter are usually from having your water level too low or a leak in the tube somewhere.

Oh ok... well that makes a LOT more sense then! I have read over this thread and looked at my set-up and can NOT figure how the two went together. Newbie alert!!

Thanks mps! I need all the guidance this forum can muster up :lol: