HMA’s 115 gal. Reef Tank

hma

Because I have written quite frequent, Today I would like to show one of my breeding tanks. All 4 breeding tanks look alike relatively. Everything is equipped with live sand (0.1 – 3mm) or/and coral cravel and live rock (Tonga Is.) as well as Caulerpa algae or sea grass as well as different smaller corals.

Here I show the aquarium with a breeding pair Orange-Banded Gobies as well as Bluestripe pipefish. All aquariums have an AquaMedic Midi-Flotor Skimmer, heating, as well as to the needs of the respective fish conformist current pump. In this tank it is an AquaClear30 Power Head with connected Overflow. All 4 tanks are lighted up with 4 x 24 W T5 (2 x Fauna Marin 24 watts T5 AQUA Science Special 15,000k and 2 x Fauna Marin 24 watts T5 AQUA Science Blue) . All tanks have a jump edge.

Zuchtbecken-Grundeln.jpg

Zuchtbecken1_Seitenansicht.jpg

Zuchtbecken-Grundeln_Paar.jpg

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Wow! What a magnificent breeding tank!! Those fish are beautiful. Do you successfully raise the fry??

Woodstock

RS STAFF
I see you use a Sander ozone generator for your 115 gal reef. How is it hooked up? Is it going into your skimmer? Do you use an airdryer?

hma

Wow! What a magnificent breeding tank!! Those fish are beautiful. Do you successfully raise the fry??

The Orange banded gobie frys unfortunately not yet Doni. They survive the first 10 days rather well, however afterwards all larvae have died up to now. I do not know the reason yet 100%, however I suppose by the everyday WC the density is too irregular. But this is one more supposition. They eat are always good from the first day on.

hma

I see you use a Sander ozone generator for your 115 gal reef. How is it hooked up? Is it going into your skimmer? Do you use an airdryer?

Yes Doni ...right. I use the Sander ozone generator via my skimmer as to see in the picture. That do not escape ozone befor the skimmer is passed i use 2 check valves (no return valves?). The water which flows back from the skimmer in to the sump is filtered with aktivated carbon, around possible ozone leftovers from the aquarium water to removes.

Ozonzuf%FChrung.jpg

Hope it helps you Doni ?!

BTW .... because I already of it has spoken, last in Caitrinas Thread, I would like to show one of my larvae tanks.

Larvenbecken.jpg

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Good luck with the fry beyond the 10 days! That is exciting. Very nice fry grow out tank. :thumbup:

Yes, the photo helps me to understand how your ozone is hooked up. Thanks.
Do you also use carbon ontop of the skimmer's collection cup to remove any airborne ozone?

hma

Good luck with the fry beyond the 10 days! That is exciting. Very nice fry grow out tank. :thumbup:

Yes, the photo helps me to understand how your ozone is hooked up. Thanks.
Do you also use carbon ontop of the skimmer's collection cup to remove any airborne ozone?

When I started with the ozone filtering I have also used carbon ontop of the Skimmer collection cup, however could ascertain very fast this is not necessary. I measure ozone just so, that it is not to be smelt any more with a taken skimmer collection cup. The nose is the best indicator... LoL!

lcstorc

As always gorgeous reef and awesome pics.
I can't wait to hear about the fry growing into beautiful adult fish. I am sure you will figure out what is happening to them.
I was reading on your site about the balling method. You say that the solutions can be added manually and also say that they should not be added at the same time. How much time should be between the different solutions?
I'm going to have to see if I can find the ingredients here. It sounds very interresting and you can't argue with results like yours.

Craig Manoukian

At what point do you remove the fry from the breeder to the grow out tank? What method do you use to catch and move the fry?

You have a fabulous brood/nursery set-up!

Thanks in advance Heinz!

hma

As always gorgeous reef and awesome pics.
I can't wait to hear about the fry growing into beautiful adult fish. I am sure you will figure out what is happening to them.
I was reading on your site about the balling method. You say that the solutions can be added manually and also say that they should not be added at the same time. How much time should be between the different solutions?
I'm going to have to see if I can find the ingredients here. It sounds very interresting and you can't argue with results like yours.

Yes Lynn, it is absolutely possibly to dose the Balling solutions also by hand (see picture). I do that in the smaller tanks. Not in everybody I have a very expensive dosing pump like the GroTech III. I am use, as in the picture seen, disposable syringes (60ml). One gets this syringes in Europe in each pharmacy. We get the chemicals, necessary for the Balling solutions, also in each pharmacy. Trace elements and amino acids only in the LFS. You can get these in the USA with Aquarium Speciality, it is not the same manufacturer, but the solutions are identical (Fauna Marine Ultra Power Trace 1-4).

Your second question: Yes, it is importantly to keep a temporal distance between the dosing of the individual substances (min 5-10 minutes). If one does not do that, it comes to chemical reactions. When exactly one dose best which substance I describes you if you the Balling method uses... LoL :jumprope:

Becher_Spritzen.jpg

hma

At what point do you remove the fry from the breeder to the grow out tank? What method do you use to catch and move the fry?

You have a fabulous brood/nursery set-up!

Thanks in advance Heinz!

Craig, it is always dependent which fish it concerns. The Orange Banded Gobies as described before, is best captured with a larvae trap. One catches never ALL larvae, but the most. It is simpler with Anemone fish as E.G. Clarkiis. I simply scoop they with a cup from the water surface, as described already once in Caitrinas Thread.

Also the best time larvae to catch depends on the kind of the fish. The one kind slips briefly after " Sunset ", the other one on the early morning. That is very different and one need very much time and patience.

Here some Pics of my Clarkii frys:

Clarkii-Larven.jpg

Clarkii-Larven_1.jpg

Clarkii-Larven_Macro.jpg

lcstorc

How cool is that?
Awesome! That is just too cool.
So only 5-10 minutes apart. That seems workable. I'll have to see if I can find the ingredients and see how much they cost here. You said one batch lasts a year for your 115 so I can probably expect 6 months if I use it on all 3 tanks I think. I'll have to add up the costs vs the amount I pay now. I'll bet your method actually cost less. Regardless I cannot argue with your success..

Alright... Thank you very much HMA! I have just spent the last two hours at work reading this entire thread. Aaaaaaaaaa... It is brilliant!
-I will now report to the owner's office for a daily review of my productivity inefficiency.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:hallo:Heinz, somehow I've been missing what is going on in your thread. Love all the technical pictures and of course the fry. Are those new pictures? Are those fry ready to "slip". I've been reading up on the Balling method and seriously considering it for my 90 gallon. You may be hearing a lot from me!:D