HLLE Eeeek!

JKsocr4

2 of my fish have HLLE. At first i though it was my cow fish that died because the are poisoness when they die. Then I did some research and found out that it comes from poor water quality and bad eating. Im affraid that I had both, (so much for my mom buying their food at target). I tested my water perams and all were in their correct levels except the NitrAtes as well as my salinity. Both were pretty high so i did a 50% water change with RO wate this weekend. and got them back on their good food from the local fish store. I know vitamin A, C, and B help but can I also get those at the store or could i cut human vitaminds and disolve them in the tank. Im so worried and need some help. ANY THING IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!:smirk:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
The scars will heal eventually....Just keep up with REGULAR scheduled water changes (large % until the nitrates stay down); feed nori on a clip along with a good variety of other fish foods. There are many great frozen varieties available. Just be sure NOT to over feed, otherwise, you'll just be polluting your water :|

Turn your skimmer up a notch or two to help remove dissolved wastes.

I wouldn't use human vitamins. GL

BoomerD

I wouldn't use human vitamins.

You would have a difficult time getting the right dosage for the fish with these...Buy some Selcon or Kent Marine's Zoe. Both very good vitamins. Keep in mind that while most tangs can & will eat almost anything, they need a lot of greens in their diets. Buy GOOD quality foods like Ocean Nutrition's Formula Flake foods,
food_on_flakes.jpg

And their frozen foods
food_ocean_nutrition_formula_two_frozen.jpg

these have most of the important vitamins the fish need, and supplemented with Selcon, they should heal fairly well, with just a bit of time.
Water changes to maintain water quality is very important also. Don't fall for the "adding vitamins to the water "trick. Just about all that does is pollute the water, and make it necessary for you to do more water changes...

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
2 of my fish have HLLE.

what type of fish do you have ? If it's Tangs they need vitamin supplements that are high in beta-carotene, to help prevent lateral line disease. Soaking food in Selcon will help also feeding nori or seaweed selects will help improve their health. Don't use human vitamins !!!

Maxx

Sounds like everyone has ya pretty well covered here....
I agree, if its a Tang or a larger angel, I reccomend Nori and Selcon, if its not, find out its dietary needs and supplement w/ Selcon....
Good Luck,
Nick

be carefull of any stray voltage in the water. stray voltage has been considered as a possible link to hlle. check all grounds, make sure you have your sump grounded. i had this problem and found that the ground on my power compacts was bad causing the stray voltage.