hitchhikers at a bad time

I just got a few rocks to start a cycle in the tank, and was just putting them in the tank when I noticed one had a snail and a shrimp :doh:on it. I have no idea what species they are. The tank has not been cycled yet, it is a 55 g display and a 40 g sump. Is there any way for them to survive? I can't take them back to the store.

frisbee

They might survive, you'll just have to wait and find out. Some snails and shrimp are not good to begin with though. (mantis shrimp, whelks) Can you get a picture of these hitchikers?

I am not ready at all to aclimate invertibrates, and I'm using a hydrometer to measure the salinity. im feeling pessimistic about their survival right now.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I wouldn't worry, unless you can remove them to some other tank, let'em ride

Snid

I'm with Fris on this one. If one is a Mantis Shrimp and survives, then we won't have to worry about the Snail long. I'd find out what they are before adding them. If they're good, then let 'em ride like PSU4ME says. I got a pretty sweet big Spoon Worm like that and discovered it's still alive a couple of weeks ago.

I went on a vacation and left my cousin to look after the tank. I'm not sure, but from what she told me, the shrimp appears to have died.

Snid

Yeah... I'd try to get confirmation of wether or not it was a molt or the actual shrimp.

Snid

This says nothing to anybody but you and your cousin, explain please

They are saying that the shrimp they were worried about possibly being a bad hitchhiker may have died while they were away on vacation. Their cousin was watching the tank while they were away. What people are asking after that statement is if their cousin is positive that the shrimp died because it may have been a molt. ;)

reefle

well if the shrimp died I guess you don't have to get a deli shrimp to help boost your cycle?

SnoopNL

@Snid
Well he said from what my cousin said.
Would be nice if we could get the details like he saw it spas or something :)

I just got back to find the shrimp and the snail both alive. Apparently the shrimp has molted, since there was a "skeleton" around the bottom.

So it's been more than a week since the shrimp has been purposefully fed. At this point I think it is a peppermint shrimp. I don't have any specific foods, but there is a lot of weird stuff growing on the rock, some sort of grayish muck and little white hairs. should these be enough, or should I try to feed it something else?

You might be able to spot the shrimp in the cave in this shot, but im afraid I could only see the legs.
imagejpg2_zps21139ef3.jpg

Snid

Hard to tell from the picture, but you might be right about the Peppermint Shrimp. And if the snail is still alive, that is a strong indication that it isn't a Mantis Shrimp. I'd do a small feeding of meaty foods, very small, every other day or so for the shrimp. If it is the right kind of Peppermint Shrimp, you might not have to worry about Aiptasia as they will eat it for you. ;)

Odds are you have two good hitchhikers. And the growth on the LR is normal, so no worries there as of yet. Maybe try to get a picture of the snail too, as there are bad snails. But so far, the odds are in your favor. :)

imagejpg1_zps54fc8f63.jpg

This is the snail. For some reason it's covered in sand, but it spends most of its time on the rock and the glass. I think it has a few filaments like antennae opposite the side of the shell that the mouth is on.

I can't get any better photos of the snail, if it goes on the glass again i'll share that.

Snid

Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like a Cerith Snail, which would be a good addition. ;)

That white blob on the left is a sponge, probably a Pineapple Sponge, which is also a good addition.