Hitch Hiker

Wave Rider

Hello, this guy must have come in on some coral frags I got about three months ago. I closely examine everything before I put in the tank so he must have been very small. He is now about 1.5 inches in diameter, beautiful blue, moves like a fast snail over rocks and hides when the lights are on. Even though there are undulating ripples on the side I have never seen him swim. Those two protrusion at the left side are feelers or? Any thoughts on this guy?
Thank youBlue algae eater3.jpg

Uncle99

Some eat corals.....
Fish too fast
For years I listened to people who said this/that/ and the other were safe.
Only once did I ever catch one red handed, a red legged hermit, who somehow grabbed one of my real expensive clowns from the bottom of the belly. Then over time, list some snails, sometimes a coral would retract out of the blue, sometimes lose a coral.

Yup, can't prove much, but since my last rebuild, 17 months ago where I banned all except corals, nem, fish and snails....I have yet to lose anything....more than 50 corals, 6 fish, 3 shrimp and 31 snails alive and well...17 months and counting.....Hum!...... Just my view on the unknown things that should be safe.....

This is not to say people are incorrect....there is:
-the things known to attack others and consume, the predators.
-the things that if given the chance, will attack and consume others, the opportunists
-the things that will consume things it doesn't usually because of a lack of food, especially crabs, the survivalist.
-the things that, in most cases, are capable of defending themselves or have the speed to run away.

When we add an enclosed space, all things can change...

Last edited:

Oxylebius

Looks like a scutus. Fairly common hitchhiker. You can read more about them here: http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/scutus

The white stripe which you see in the pic seems to get wider and thinner caused by the black flaps sometimes expanding to cover the white shell and sometimes contracting to expose a bit of it. Because of this, the white in the center may not be there either, so don't use that as an identifying feature if it is missing.