Hippo with Ich

Jiddy

i found my Hippo in my 220 was scratchin on the rock, after examing him i found little white dots which appear to be ich, the only other guys in the tank are a YT and 8 Chromis, none which seem to have symptoms. The Hippo is eating Nori, Brine, and Flake and seems to be happy, with the exception of the occasional scratchin of the rock. I have the Garlic Kent additive which i soaked my brine in and the hippo loved it, the ich has spread a little more over his body, im pretty new to the ich stuff, so what should i do now?

Warnberg

Jid, IME leave him alone, just keep soaking the food in Garlic and you may want to add some selcon as well.... My Regal/Hippo had it as well and every one I have owned (2) over the last 15 years has had ich, they are very suseptable to it and always seem to get it.

After I found ich on my Regal I QT'd it along with all the other fish in my tank for 8 weeks and teated with hypo salinity, after 8 weeks in that little 20 gallon tank I returned all my fish back to the main disply (240) and guess what 2 weeks later, you guessed it, Regal had ich again.

I wouldn't stress the fish by QT'ing at this point, feed good healthy foods and continue to soak in garlic and selcon. You may want to consider a cleaner shrimp or two, they will help if the Regal will allow it to clean it...

By the way 6 months later my Regal is growing, eating, and no more itching and I have had coments about it, "Boy that is the heathiest Regal I have ever seen"

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Garlic, clean water, garlic, clean water.... I agree with Dave; feed them well and wait. It could recover on its own. Check the temperature and water parameters too...

For severe cases of ich, allowing the main tank to go fallow for 6-8 weeks while the fish are treated in a QT using the hyposalinity method works best.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If the infection isn't serious then he will recover with proper diet and water quality , only problem is Ick has been introduced to the tank and it could lead to possible serious infections in the future especially with stressed or weakened fish.

proud2bcanadian

I don't know if this applies to saltwater too, but what I do with my colony of clown loaches is - put them in a QT tank with the same water parameters, raise the temperature to about 82degrees, and add aquarium salt. If the infection does get more serious, I would seriously consider a QT tank.

HTH,

Witfull

hippo tangs are ich magnets. (so are clown loaches) if its minor, leave him be. he will get it again....as long as the tank is healthy and it remains minor....status quo.

john

1 more thing,if you dont have 1,invest in a uv sterilizer!!had mine for a year and not 1 drop of ich on any of my fish including my hippo!!

Jiddy

Thanks guys, my Cleanere shrimp comes today! (from www.yourReef.com ) and an update, the Hippo is still a pig, the spots are nessacarily spreading and im feeding a little extra to the tank so he stays happy.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Good to hear Jiddy. Keep in mind the life cycle of ich and don't be surprised if it 'appears' to go away only to reappear on the fish a few days later. Their cycyl is temp dependent (warmer = faster). Keep up with the garlic and vacuuming the substrate if possible.

scuba22

I'm a fan of Flagyl and "no-ich" < nitroimidazoles>by fish-vet, inc
I successfully treated my tank - reef safely- and my regal tang was COVERED!

I also added a sterilizer - and turned the temp up to 82 for a few days.
Read about the life cycle of these protozoans, and it will help to aide your treatment.

I did 1 wk of flagyl, mega water changes, and then started the no-ich regime for another month < the trofonts have a life cycle up to 27-28 days>..lots more water changes and...viola...ich free for 2 months so far!

BTW, my fire shrimp also helped by 'cleaning' the tang off!

Roxy

Jiddy i have a black domino that had white spots on him also i brought a cleaning shrimp and the shrimp cleaned him he is in good health now

Jiddy

Thanks for your help everyone.

The ich appears to have gone away, well the spots did anyways, and the fish eats piggishly and doesnt scratch anymore. My shrimp on the other hand, ordered him from www.YOURREEF.com and i was a little worried since its freezing up here in the Nasty North, but John packed my order well and everything arrived great, the shrimp acclimated just fine, within the first few hours he jumped on to my tank boss YT and cleaned him, well ever since then he lives on my anemone, ive never heard of a shrimp liking a anem, i asked my LFS about and she said its probably tryin to steal food, well today was anem feeding day, and the little shrimp loves shrimp cocktail (crazy) so maybe that was it, i dunno! But the ich seems to be controlled now, lol