High Salinity Dip Problems

Alright so here is the deal,
I am in the middle of a water change at this very moment. I decided I was going to do a high salinity dip to drive out the d@^^* annoying clicking I have been hearing the past couple days. I did have a mantis, but I have already got rid of him. I believe the problem I may have not is a pistol or just another baby mantis.
So I got the salinity up to 1.030 and rock by rock dipped for a minute and then shook..... Dun dun dun.... Expecting a slew of critters to flee the rock, I look in the cooler and nothing... not a darn thing? just sand... How what did I do wrong?

sambrinar

and why do you think it is a mantis and not a pistol?? A pistol will dig UNDER the rock... soooo dipping the rock would do you no good IMHO

and you want to get rid of the clicking booger why?? just annoying or is it eating your CUC?

The reason I believe it is a Pistol and not a mantis is because I saw it. It was a small red shrimp with a white underbelly and not having a mantis profile. Also, when I was trying to figure out which one I decided to cover all the known burrows to see if the should borrow out thus relieving what rock it is in.... well several opened back up :( The rock I have has many many holes in it and most burrows I have seen by the mantis always led to an opening through one of the holes thus it is living "IN" the rock.
Most of the creatures on the rock I do want to keep with exceptions of the clicking ones... they got to go... I am trying to have a peaceful tank setup and with either of those shrimp I don't see it quite possible bc of their tendency to kill other shrimp.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
pistols are peaceful critters. They don't bother shrimp. I have had many pistols over the years and never had a problem; and always keep cleaner or peppermint shrimp, or both.

I saw that youtube video, and so much stuff on youtube is staged or edited heavily. Pistols are not terrors in the tank. Unless you are a pod.

There are pistols that spend their whole lives living inside of sponges. They make light from sound - sonoluminescence. They are amazing creatures in their own right. I had a big pistol once and all the catalina gobies would hide in his burrows along withe the firefish. They are really nothing to worry about

sambrinar

Alright so here is the deal,
I am in the middle of a water change at this very moment. I decided I was going to do a high salinity dip to drive out the d@^^* annoying clicking I have been hearing the past couple days. I did have a mantis, but I have already got rid of him. I believe the problem I may have not is a pistol or just another baby mantis.So I got the salinity up to 1.030 and rock by rock dipped for a minute and then shook..... Dun dun dun.... Expecting a slew of critters to flee the rock, I look in the cooler and nothing... not a darn thing? just sand... How what did I do wrong?

Ok wait... I'm confused.. so you think it IS a pistol?? and not a mantis.. looking at your initial post it looked like you thought it was a mantis not a pistol... I agree with Bobby.. Pistols are peaceful creatures... leave him be, besides you will prolly never find him

Notice... peaceful

Snapping Shrimp, Red Banded

and short article....

Pistol Shrimp - Facts On The Fascinating Pistol Shrimp

yeah sorry for my error in typing i gte thses thinks messde up all the time. The clicking has subsided for now. I just hope it does not start again bc it was not a plesant experience dipping the rock. If thast does not work any more suggestions?