High Nitrates...

RedTide94

24 Gallon Aquapod...how do I bring the Nitrates down. All else is good. Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Ph 8.2. Tank is 7 months old. Nitrates typically 25-40. Doing weekly water changes (around 20%). Any suggestions...

KMP

how long has the tank been set up? do you still have the bio balls? how much live stock do you have in there?

RedTide94

4 fish (psuedochromis, cardinal, bicolor damsel, mandarin (who eats blood worms)). 4 coral (polyps, leather, bubble, open brain). Approx 30lbs live rock, 22 lbs live sand. Bio balls still in.

RedTide94

Tank is 7mos old. In the back I have carbon (changed once), bioballs and sponge filter. The livestock is doing very well (or appears to be). One peppermint shrimp also. Thank you for the welcome.

RedTide94

I am feeding a combination of pellets (about every other day) + some bloodworms for the mandarin, occassional (once every two weeks) chunk of pink shrimp for the open brain and once every two weeks phyto plankton.

rdz1

i would clean the sponge every week and rinse the carbon every week when you do the water change. They keep the nirates high.

aquaman3680

The carbon needs to be rinsed 2 times a month and changed every month. You really need to take the bioballs out as they are nitrate factories. The sponge should be rinsed every week, all of these are contributing to your nitrate problems. I would recommend taking the bioballs out and replacing it with more carbon or liverock!

Matt

RedTide94

My LFS told me that the bioballs and sponges are necessary for "good bacteria" andrinsing them was actually hurting as it was taking good bacteria out of the tank. I have heard the live rock suggestin before. So in the back I would only have Live Rock and Carbon?

aquaman3680

Well you would have the sponge too. The sponge is good for catching particulates. The problem with what the LFS said is that yes they can grow "good" bacteria but they also grow bad bacteria. The carbon will make your water clear and the live rock acts as a natural filter for your tank.

The bioballs are very effective in freshwater tanks as they have no way of "naturally" getting rid of the nitrates. But you really need to remove the bio balls!

JMHO

Matt

KMP

cool. big debate over bio balls. most say bad, some say not a problem. all will agree they need to be cleaned regularly just like anything else.

your fish # is a little high for the tank which is most likely a contributing factor, however, i have 4 fish too :D not uncommon for my nitrate to hit 20ppm every now and then. just keep up on the water changes.

given the info you provided. if i were to do anything, i'd pull the balls for a few weeks and see if that makes a difference. also, if you still have 2 sponges in the rear, pull one (i did) - one will work just fine providing the only flow to the rear chambers is at the top (all gates in and down). i'd also put a bag of nitrate sponge (kent has some - sure there are others) and although you could keep the carbon in full time - it's not necessary.

all that said, there's a common theme. eliminate anything that may be capturing mess which drives up the nitrates. other than that, you have the water change part covered.

jimeluiz

Good advice all. I'd just add that if it were me I'd be looking to change out the bio balls simply because it would be less maintenance overall to have a more 'natural' system. One less thing to clean periodically (or as often).

I like the sit back and enjoy part of this obsession/hobby.

Jorgens

lets make sure, however that you do not take them all out at once. Start slowly say 25% for 2 weeks then another 25% and so on. It may be possible for a spike if you take them all and in a system that small it could be disasterious.

Snelly40

all said above is good, if u keepo the bio balls, wash ur balls regularly.

personally though, ur LFS is imho wrong. bioballs are not needed if u have enough LR. also, sponges need to be washed like crazy, also look for hidden sponges in their, my nanocube had 3 sponges that were hidden at the bottom of the back filtration system and my nitrates were constantly high b/c they were in there for 7 months and hadnt been washed.
check it out and good luck, most of us have been where u are now