Hey, whats up

lincolnlskid

Obviously I am new to this....... I am in the process of buying an 80 gal tank this week. I already run a 40 gal fresh but just not enough for me if you know what I mean. I need to step up to something a little more interesting and am looking for any helpful advise. You will here alot more of me in the next few months and any pointers will be greatly appreciated. first what should i start with to set up a LONG TERM (unlike some temporary hobbyists) aquarium fish wise? I dont want to rush this I want to eventually have a healthy and visually pleasant tank and i know this takes time so please hook me up with any hints. Thanks! C'ya!

su_mich

welcome!!

:welcomera
there are many helpfull nice people here in RS. u will definately enjoy ur stay here friend. i'm not a pro in marine tanks, but one thing i know n learned here is the key for a successful marine tank is patience, patience and patience. looking forward for pics of ur future tank building. enjoy ur stay. Surain

lcstorc

Welcome to RS! Lots of friendly helpful people here so ask away.
Patience is the biggest key, but after that comes a good skimmer and good lights if you want a reef. Be sure to research both purchases well. What you need will depend largely on what you intend to keep. Take a look through the gallery or some of our sponsors to see what type of life you want in your tank. Then we can help you with equipment etc.
Enjoy your stay and your new tank.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS Lincolniskid! I guess first off how much room do you have for the display and equipment?? Steve

lincolnlskid

Re: welcome!!

Thank you. I am on my way out the door to my new heaven ( a reef lovers dream store) that I discovered. Not going to make any purchases today but just research some gear. I am as thankful for tips as I am in need of them, so I will let you know what I am doing as I go. thanks again.

Oh yeah...... My goal is to have a healthy 80 gal paradise with anenomies( I dont think I spelled that right but I will learn), a small collection of very colorful fish( my 3 yr old son Chase is demanding a nemo and a dori), and a few creatures that I will decide on once I have done more research. THANX again .

If its not a LINCOLN LS..........I'll walk.

lcstorc

Well if you want an anemone you will need some pretty serious lighting. Also a well established tank. Please do not run out and get one early on. They really need the stable paramaters of a well established system and almost all of them require higher light like Metal Halide or at least T5 lighting. Just want you to be prepared. Also investigate the various clowns for temperment etc. We made the mistake of not doing it and bought a maroon clown who is very mean. They are well know for it had I bothered to research. Sorry, just want you to learn from my mistake.
Hope you have a great time. I love going to the lfs and have been known to stay for hours so I know how you feel.