Hey RS

Newt

I'm new to the RS world, but not new to saltwater. I'm also a member at Reeflounge, Reef Central, and Nanoreef, so I decided to come check this out I'm currently setting up a 75g AGA after a failed attempt at a nano. So here are my plans:

Display Tank
75g AGA (as mentioned above)
75g AGA stand
90lbs. Fiji LR
2-3" LS
2x Aqualight Pro HQI 150W Pendants
w/ 14k HQI DE bulbs
2x SEIO 1100s
CPR Overflow 600gph

Sump/Refuge:
10 or 15g custom sump/refuge
Mag Drive 5 return Pump
250w Visitherm heater
Turboflotor 100 Multi Skimmer (In-sump or HOB depends on room in sump)
65w PC
3-4" LS bed
Unknown amount LR
Macro Algae

Running 100GPD RO-DI

Well those are the plans for now, let me know how they sound.

Jason

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS JKreef !:hallo:
Looks like it's gunna be a great setup, I like your equipment selection. Make sure you start a thread on the reef chronicles forum so we can tag along and make sure you post plenty of pics :turntable

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
:hallo: Jason! Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! Ditto to Robert's post... make sure to start a thread in Reef Chronicles so we can follow along! :)

Newt

Will do! This setup process has been a slow going, but it's getting there. Being a college student I find myself many times at a lack of funds, but the job search is on for the summer.

I just started to test the tank for leaks last night, but have to wait for my RO to fill my storage container again. But so far, the tank is half full (or half empty, however you look at it.) and no leaks.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll keep you posted, and start a chronicles thread soon.

Jason

Gina

RS STAFF
:hallo: Jason! Welcome to our Sanctuary!!
I would consider your tank half full!
Looking forward to seeing the pics!

Newt

Thanks again everyone. :)

I'll keep you all posted, and leave a note here when I start a post for my tank in the chronicles section.

All advice and opinions are welcome.

Craig Manoukian

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

Is it going to be a reef set-up complete with fish? I would recommend an in-sump skimmer if that is the case. Pictures please!

Newt

Hey thanks Travis, thanks Craig.

I forgot to list above earlier, I'll also be running a 9w or 15w UV sterilizer, I haven't decided on the size yet.

I'll post everything (Equip for display, sump/fuge, current decisions for future cleanup crew/corals/inverts/fish) in the chronicles forum when I have time to write it up, and take some current pics. Cause I know you all like probably like pics. :laughroll

For now, thanks again, and goodnight!

Sharkbait

Welcome, college and reeftank, huh,sounds like a smart kid to me. Wish I would've thought of that in college...Design and set ups are fun, let us know how it turns out. sharkbait

Newt

sharkbait said:
Design and set ups are fun, let us know how it turns out.

Hey thanks sharkbait. I love designing things, and I think that whole design aspect of this tank fits in perfectly with my Graphic Design and Graphic Arts major. :bouncer: I can't wait to get my rock, and start aquascaping. Hopefully I can make it into one kicka** reef.

sharkbait said:
Wish I would've thought of that in college...

Yeah I'm glad I'm getting into the reef game while I'm still young, I figure if I can pull off an amazing reef on a college student budget then when I'm older things will only get better. But right now, that budget thing is kicking me in the butt. :smck:

mopecula

Just some thoughts, if this is going to be a sps coral reef tank then I would put 2-175watt 10k mh with 2 110watt supplemental atinics and change the return pump to a mag 12 for more water movement. Sps corals love and need a lot of water flow and light. If this is a soft coral tank then you should be ok with what you have seems like a nice set up either way. Good luck
Mo
www.mmota.homestead.com

Newt

mopecula said:
Just some thoughts, if this is going to be a sps coral reef tank then I would put 2-175watt 10k mh with 2 110watt supplemental atinics and change the return pump to a mag 12 for more water movement. Sps corals love and need a lot of water flow and light. If this is a soft coral tank then you should be ok with what you have seems like a nice set up either way. Good luck
Mo

Mo,
Mostly in the beginning of this reef I want to get a good start on mushrooms, zoos, and some LPS, and then a few SPS such as encrusting montipora colonies. Later on however I might add more SPS corals, as I still truly need to do my research on the other wide variety of SPS before I put any major money into colonies for my tank.

The lighting fixture that I'm looking into purchasing consists of the following:
2x 175w HQI w/20k lamps
4x 21w T-5 actinics

Going to run an in-sump skimmer, an ASM G2 that I ordered last night. This will be my main filtration along with secondary, DSB and Macro algaes.

Overflow and return-wise, I want a lower flow through my sump/fuge and I'm not looking into using the return as a main source of flow, only secondary. Right now I'm running a sole SEIO 1500 and that alone gives me 20x turnover, and I will most likely add another SEIO 1500 or 1100, so my turnover will range from approx. 35x-40x turnover rate total.