Hey! I'm smart! What about you?

rckmtl

Allright first I have to say that I am smart. I was setting up my tank in my new apt and -this- time I left enough room that I can get behind it. I don't know why I didn't think of that the first time. I was allways needing to clean or reach something I couldn't get at...

I was just going to gloat about my inspiration but it made me so happy that now I want to hear about you guy's.

So post a reply and let me know what was the smartest thing you ever did when seting up a tank. Even if it is something silly.

Witfull

tank is perpendicular to the wall. i can walk around it 3-sided and only have the 2ft section to the wall. that way i can see whats going on back there,,,there up to no good i tell ya,,,i was young once and i was up to no good,,SO I KNOW they are up to no good back there,,lol

Cougra

I learnt a long time ago to leave space between the wall and the tank and commonly recommend it to people/friends when they are setting up their tank, especailly larger tanks. 99% of the time they ignore the advise becaue the tank would stick out too far. Inevitably about two to three months later I go to their house and get to make a nice little comment along the lines of "Is it just me or is that tank sticking out too far?" I always love the glares I get from that one.

The next smartest thing I started doing is labeling my power cords where they are plugged in. I think there is nothing more annoying then realizing too late that you didn't unplug that heater you just removed from the water and placed on your brand new coffee table!

rckmtl

Woodstock said:
LOL~

(sorry for the thread hitchhike Rckmtl.. it's his fault)

lol! No prob guys! this saves me from having to try and be funny myself. I can just let you guys do the work.

I liked gussy's comment though. I am still working on the exponetially increasing ricordeas...

tommyp

To find friends who have the same addiction. So then I seem more normal to the girlfriend.

"Why are you buying that (insert expensive dollar amount here object) tom?"

Remember (insert friend with a reef tank name here)'s tank wasn't that cool?

"I guess"

nigle

Oi!

1. I keep the house cold in the winter so I put 3 inch styrofoam under all my tanks. Not only does that keep the bottom of the tanks warm from the cold furniture but the tanks have a 'soft' bottom so there is complete support for them.

2. I bought all the books I could find on the subject. The internet is 'fun' but if you need to know something there are a lot of books out there that HAVE the information already, all you have to do is read it.

3. As related to my post here a few weeks ago about the 6 stages of cycling [not 3 as most think], my last tank was started and I didn't add a thing for 6 months, but I'm adding things slowly now, and guess what?, no diatoms, no cyno and no hair algae, go figure, the books were right!

Cheers!
nigle
!~!