here's something cool...

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Originally posted by Maxx
Easy there, Trigger,
Its not all trailor parks and mullets.......:rolleyes:
Nick
Oh yeah! That's right! There are some of those with crazy cartoon kung-fu fighting hair! :D

Crakeur

Drew has a full set of chompers, however they are of the removable variety and rumor has it he got them as a souvenir from a raccoon roadkill dinner.

drdrew

nothing goes to waste around here. it's called conservation of resources. coon teeth, coon meat, coon fur for the missus.

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
Originally posted by LuckyInk
There are some of those with crazy cartoon kung-fu fighting hair! :D

Forget the hair, what about those crazy kung-fu fighting squirrels?
Maxx, are the infidels still probing the battle lines? Or are they all sitting outside in preparation for a siege?

Maxx

Drew has a full set of chompers, however they are of the removable variety and rumor has it he got them as a souvenir from a raccoon roadkill dinner.
Vile lies.....raccoons are greasy, and not fit for human consumption. Possum on the other hand......
what about those crazy kung-fu fighting squirrels?
...are the infidels still probing the battle lines? Or are they all sitting outside in preparation for a siege?
No, the tree rats have been suspiciously quiet as of late....too quiet.
Nick

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Drew

I will say that your freind is way off on

he estimates it is about 270 million years old!!

that would make it Permain times and that geolgoic period is missing from Missouri strata. So that fossil is much more older than that :D Here is a geologic map of Missouri, so what county is in? The fossil is one of the Rugose Corals, "Horned Corals". What you have is a middle seciton with the top and bottom missing.

geomap.jpg

drdrew

boone county...southern half.

so, i like where you're going with this...but i don't understand it entirely...

how old is it?

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
but i don't understand it entirely

Don't worry I'll get you there :D

Go the map, you will see that Boone County is on the Missouri River in the middle fo the state. Look at the colors on the map and go to the Legend on the right. You will see that Boone County has 3 geologic age periods.

We assign names to the geologic past, based on events that are distinct and marked at that time.

large.gif

On that Missouri map on the other post;

Blue Green = Pennsylvanian geologic time = 286 - 320my ago

Blue = Mississippian geologic time = 320-360 my ago

Purple = Mixed Silurian and Devoian geologic time =360 -408 my ago

You can see from the map and the time scale that there is no goelogic record for Missouri 270 MY ago , which is Permain geolgoic time 245 - 286 my ago. Almost the strata in that county is 286 - 438 my old. You will not find this coral in the yellow area in Boone County

drdrew

so he estimated 270 million, and it actually could be 286 million?

what an IDIOT! i'm going to yell at him.

...just kidding...thanks for this additional info.