Here it is...not for the squeamish

SubRosa

OK here is a pic of the inside of my left forearm,after I lanced and debrided the lesion caused by a mycobacterium infection

Attachments

• DSC00045.1.jpg
    DSC00045.1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 133

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
That looks like a nasty abcess. How can you be so sure it's Mycobacterium without a culture? Have you seen a doctor? Are you taking an antibiotic? Incision and drainage is only part of the treatment. Get well soon!

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Now thats gonna leave a scar! Leaches Leaches Leaches!!!! lol go see the quack.OH its dated feb 2005, guess you survived.Steve

SubRosa

Well it was not cultured,but it was the second lesion that I had gotten.I treated the first with augmentin,and it healed,but another formed 5 wks later.Fortunately I had spoken to someone with some experience with mycobacterium,and he told me that it responded only to antibiotics with gram negative activity,like minocycline or rifampin.And who wants orange eyes and urine?After a six week course of minocycline I have been lesion free for over a year.Process of elimination!I am reasonably certain which tank I got it from,as every fish that went into it wasted away despite eating well.That is the main symptom in fish.After I sterilized that tank there were no further problems with fish or me.Combining that knowledge with my antibiotic experience pretty much proves the diagnosis in my book!

murkywaters

Thanks for posting that. It's good to know things like that can happen. It reinforces my SOP of always washing before and after putting my hands in the tank. Karma for your information.

SubRosa

Here is a pic of my arm today......not bad considering!

Attachments

• Picture 034.2.JPG
    Picture 034.2.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 131

2455coop

You know...Chicks dig scars...

Well thats what Kenaue Reeves said in the movie "The Replacements"

I just might go and get some new ones for my wife ( or a toolbelt..I heard women like a working man)

murkywaters

You know...Chicks dig scars...

Well thats what Kenaue Reeves said in the movie "The Replacements"

I just might go and get some new ones for my wife ( or a toolbelt..I heard women like a working man)
yeah baby, Love to see my baby in his tool belt.:snshne:

KimPossible

oooph!
Glad you recovered, and thanks for stating the particular antibiotic it responded to...it's good to have that info here.

SubRosa

Surprisingly it was not painful at all after the operation.Before I opened it it was very tender to the touch

boozeman

On a side note :
Tuberculosis is also a mycobacterium. It is always best to have a doctor take a sample for culture...just in case :D

SubRosa

No doubt the best way to handle it would be professional medical care,but I had already incurred one bill that really hurt to pay.I would in no way recommend self diagnosis and treatment for anyone but myself!
John

fishheads

WAIT,what is mycobacterium??I can catch that from my tank??how do you get it??INFO PLEASE,THIS IS NEWS TO ME...SHOULD I BE SCARED OF MY TANK??WHAT ARE THE PREVENTIONS...AND SYMPTOMS.