here i go again... protein skimmer time!

rDr4g0n

there are a bazillion protein skimmer threads, and there are plans all over the net. ive read a bunch of em, and have sorta boiled the info down into what i wanna do as far as building my skimmer.

http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/skimmer101.htm is my main reference, as it deals primarily with sizes and flow rates and leaves the actual design up to you.

so heres my idea... basic counter current skimmer.

skimmer.gif

water comes in the top, exits the bottom creating a downward flow. i have 2 airstones pushing micro bubbles into the column against the current (i already have the limewood stones and air pump from other stuff). my question is what is the optimum way to supply the water from the systme and back out. according to the above linked site i need to move about 25 - 30 gph through this thing (pretty slow, but that gives the protein more time to stick to the bubbles). i have 1 or 2 extra power heads, and as ive posted before, an overflow dropping down into a 10 gallon sump and being pumped back up.

i dont have enough vertical clearance to put this in the sump (have a powerhead pump up to the top of the skimmer column and have the water flow out into the sump) since its under my tank. how reasonable is it to split off some of my overflow and send it to the skimmer first, then have a powerhead send it to the sump?

also the reason i like this design is because i have most of the parts already so it will be very cheap to make (like $10 or so). any other suggestions are welcome.

boozeman

I suggest that if you are going to have a nearby lighted refugium, to shield your skimmer as algae will quickly grow on the airstone and reduce its efficiency

prow

this is like those old school bubble skimmers. not very efficient. the bubble are to big, less surface area and contact time is limited. instead of the airstone and air pump why not put a pump with a needle wheel and a air line so it sucks air in and chops up the bubble real good.

lgerold

We just built a similar system using 4" pvc, a home-made basswood stone, and the unit is 4 feet tall.

We are just finishing tweaking it. It's working very well, collecting 2 quarts of quite green skimmate every day, off our 210 gallon tank. We're very satisfied. It's low tech, but IMHO, that's a good thing.

BoomerD

I posted this pic in Lucy's protein skimmer build thread earlier:
IMG_6306.jpg

VERY efficient low-electrical useage skimmer for a nice 240 gallon reef tank...

rDr4g0n

lol i did read that other thread and saw the pics, but there was little technical info for me to go off of. perhaps instead of using airstones i will use needlewheel air injection, but this still leaves me with how to pump water in and out of the system which is my main concern at this point.

lgerold

I use a Mag 3 on my skimmer. The water pumps in the top, just like you have your drawing. The flow is to the bottom of the skimmer, where it exits. The INTAKE line on the skimmer is 1/2 inch, and the OUTPUT line is 3/4 inch, so there's no pressure build.

I do plan to post photos and a drawing. I can post the photos tonight, and the drawings (with measurements) tomorrow.

rDr4g0n

I use a Mag 3 on my skimmer. The water pumps in the top, just like you have your drawing. The flow is to the bottom of the skimmer, where it exits. The INTAKE line on the skimmer is 1/2 inch, and the OUTPUT line is 3/4 inch, so there's no pressure build.

I do plan to post photos and a drawing. I can post the photos tonight, and the drawings (with measurements) tomorrow.

that would be worth a million dollars to me! thank you in advanced!

another question, how do you return the water to the sump or aquarium from the bottom of the skimmer?

this is like those old school bubble skimmers. not very efficient. the bubble are to big, less surface area and contact time is limited. instead of the airstone and air pump why not put a pump with a needle wheel and a air line so it sucks air in and chops up the bubble real good.

very untrue, CC skimmers are still top rated but passed by due to there size and ability to be a pain in the butt to set up. Using good quality lime wood air stones and pump will get bubbles just as small or smaller than any NW skimmer.

Here is my old 4" diameter 5 foot tall model and worked great for 4 years! IMO when setting it up I would use a gate valve to fine tune the water level and as many air stones as you can.

3583_135591.JPG

rDr4g0n

very untrue, CC skimmers are still top rated but passed by due to there size and ability to be a pain in the butt to set up. Using good quality lime wood air stones and pump will get bubbles just as small or smaller than any NW skimmer.

Here is my old 4" diameter 5 foot tall model and worked great for 4 years! IMO when setting it up I would use a gate valve to fine tune the water level and as many air stones as you can.

3583_135591.JPG

can you elaborate on what exactly im looking at? i can identify the reaction chamber, and the collection cup, but how exactly is it setup?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
rDRlol, I dont see why you cant run your overflow thru this, you shouldnt even need a pump

rDr4g0n

ok guys im still seeking help on this project.

i really like Lucy's setup and plan to emulate a lot of it. im thinking i can either split off some flow from my overflow box, or drill a new hole just for the skimmer in the overflow box. which of the 2 would you recommend?

then have a pump or powerhead in the sump (or inline) sucking the return from the bottom of the skimmer. this will let me make my skimmer about 3 feet high.

im still looking into making an airstone and stuff... so what do you guys think so far?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
then have a pump or powerhead in the sump (or inline) sucking the return from the bottom of the skimmer. this will let me make my skimmer about 3 feet high.
Not sure I understand the ? if the exit is the bottom of the skimmer, you will have to externally plumb back up to a gate valve to be able to set the water height inside the skimmer.Steve

rDr4g0n

oohhhh ok i think i understand... for some reason im having trouble understanding the water height adjustment thingy...

ok so that height adjuster also serves as the exit, in which case, i can have it siphon down into my sump right? in that case, using the overflow to supply the water and a siphon to return it to the sump, i wont need a water pump?

lgerold

Hi!

If the plumbing leaving the skimmer is larger than the plumbing entering the skimmer, gravity should do the job of returning the water to the sump, if the sump is lower than the top of the exit plumbing. That is, if I understand your description...

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Bingo! you may have to T it off as the turnover rate may be too much, coming right from the overflow. Steve

rDr4g0n

ok ok ok im making progress here!

getting water from teh overflow. i have 2 options. i can tee it off. or i could drill a hole (half inchish) and put a fitting in there just for the skimmer. then the overflow would be draining in the 1 inch bulkhead as well as the 1/2inch hole for the skimmer.

so tee, or new hole?

also, according to the site i was reading about skimmers, i need to move about 30gph through this skimmer... thats not really a lot. anyone know how to determine the flowthrough of different size hose?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
mmmm with 30 gal flow you may need a bigger supply than you think because of back pressure, maybe a full sized T off the O/F and a valve, are you routing this back to the return area? Steve