Helpless in Monroe

RandyG

Hello everyone, I have a 54 gal. corner reef tank for about 7 months now, been trying to read as much as I can on the subject, I have about 150 lbs of LR, green carpet, pearl bubble coral, torch coral, pogoda bowl, candy cane corals, a few differant mushrooms, cleaner shrimp, snails and hermit crabs, 1 percula clown and 2 firefish. I have 2 powerheads running, UV sterilizer, protien skimmer, carbon filter, and I do a 25% water change every 2 weeks. This is what the local pet stores has told me I needed and it seems to be working fine, I also add calcium, strodium, and iodine, is there anything else anyone could tell me I may need to add to my set up that would help my inhabitants be healthier?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Sounds like a great setup ! How did you get 150lbs. of Rock in that tank ? :D

What type of lighting are you using ? How long have you had the Carpet Anemone and is it the Stichodactyla gigantea or the Stichodactyla haddoni ?

And of course it's obligatory to post some pics :D :D :D

RandyG

The shop I bought the rock from told me is was that much, I guess I took their word for it at 9.00 a lb., I'm sorry about what kind the carpet is, all I know is it is a green carpet. I will post pic's 5-4-05, I just found this site today at work and looked around at some of the postings and figured I needed to join in and start learning as much as I can, sorry for my lack of knowledge but I will get better.

RandyG

The lighting is a 50/50 setup, daylight and acintic? I have got to get my info together before tommarrow. Thanks

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Is the lighting Power Compacts, Very High Output or Normal Output and how many watts is it ? How long have you had the Carpet ?

sorry for my lack of knowledge but I will get better.

No need to apologize we've all been there take your time and post those pics :)

Always remember nothing good happens quickly in this hobby so patience is a must !

Jiddy

So the store sold him/you 150lbs of rock for a 50g tank? Thats alot, plus $9? Does this rock scrap the algae off the glass for you? WoW, i would never go back to that store EVER again.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You should be testing the water for nitrAtes, PH, calcium, alkalinity and magnesium. Watch the carpet, they usually require very bright metal halide lighting to survive. They also get VERY big and can eat anything that lands on them :eek: I'm glad to see you didn't overstock it with fishes. Post some pics!! :D

Tokey

Wow!!! I know this is an old post but $1350.00 for rock for a 50gl tank
oh man you were robbed :wit:

DrBCool

Seems to me the LFS's are out to get you in a lot of cases and then occasionally you run into one that is just in the hobby and wants you to set things up correctly so your critters can live healthy ..
I ran into a similar thing with a LFS not quite that bad though .. They told me I needed all this dead base rock to set up .. Then Eric , another LFS manager told me they were full of it all I needed was the live substrate and live rock .. Money I spent on Dead base rock coulda gone for more live rock instead .. We all gotta learn from mistakes I guess ...

Sorry the took you for so much though .. that is an awful lot of rock ..