Help!!!

wigo

My heater Marineland 350 just blew up. I happen to be there when it happened but I am not sure what it let into the water. I shut down the entire system.

The room smells something awful.

What do I do.
I removed the heater.
Is the water OK or do I need to replace some/all?
I have coral and fish and liverock and such.
I am not really new to this but this is the first time my heater blew up.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
The same thing happened to me about this same time last year. It did release some toxic substance into the tank and my fish were being asphixiated. Luckily I had a QT set up that I could move them to and only lost 3 out of 8. It did not affect the corals or LR.

My recommendation is to do a large WC and run copious carbon. You may be alright since you were right there and able to remove the heater. All the best.

vdituri

I would do the water change just to be on the safe side.
25% minimum is my suggestion.

Also wouldn't hurt to run some carbon filtration as well.
Keep an eye on the corals as they should give you the first signs if something is off in the water.

Best of luck. That sucks. Glad you were there when it happened.

prow

how big is your tank? if its 100gals or so and you got the heater and much of the stuff out should be cool. in addition to above run a canister filter or filter sock to get any thingys left floating around.

prow

no worries than. that will dilute the stuff and getting it out right away was big. just carbon and some mechanical filtering for a couple days should be good.

wigo

All done... schew... I think everyone is ok. The corals have come back out and the fish are swimming.
Not sure if they got a shock or not though.
What heaters do you guys use?
Not sure I am going to use a marineland anymore.

prow

i use visi-stealth also and ebojager. for glass ebo jager is the best. you could alway go with titanium if your worried about them breaking again.