help zoos in trouble

Wolfgang8810

i woke up this morning and most of my zooz were open but some weren't and it looked like it had a white colored substance on top. Anyone have any idea what it could be? There were lost of little bugs on them amphipods i assume. Here are some pictures.

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0213.jpg

JWarren

I'd give him a frash water dip and shake him off a bit and see if that helps. I was having a problem with one of mine as well and when I dipped it, I slung loose a nudibranch that had been munching on it.

BEELZEBOB

well. looks like zoa pox. (kinda)

white spots and polyp degeneration.

as warren said, FW dip is one method,

another would be iodine dip.

ive had sucess with just removing them from the tank, sitting in the sun for 30 mins, FW rinse, and plopin them back in.

another new method (highlighted in great detail on in the RC zoo forum) is treating the tank with Vit C

fish wilson

another good way is furan mixed with fresh water, dip for about 15 min, no more than twice in a week, zoo pox is contagous to other zoos

Wolfgang8810

ok will someone please explaing this FW dip? please. It sounds to easy tobe jsut fill up a bucket and drop em in twice a week. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have another species of zoos on the other side of the tank should i worry about them too?

JWarren

Yup thats pretty much how it is done! RO/DI in a bucket.

You can give him a dip too, won't hurt anything.

BEELZEBOB

sometimes it does, sometimes it dont.
itll make you go nuts though, thats fo-sho

in my experience with those spots, and the funky gunk disease, takin them out of the tank, placing in a nice clean galss or whateve, and just putting them in direct sunlight for like half hour worx wonders.

the zoos can take it no prob, but the stuff you dont want, cannot

JWarren

How much water over the top there Bob?

3 or 4 inches?

I got a pipe coral I may try that with, I've tried everything else to rehab it.

BEELZEBOB

see, id mos def not suggest that with anything other than zoos.

because im talkin no water, nothin. (the glass is to pet proof it)

i literally am sayin, pick the colony up, and set on a paper towel in the sun for like half an hour.

(imagine what they have to tolorate, exposed @ low tide)

BEELZEBOB

ive used it as a last ditch effort. (its a lil radical i guess)

id say do FW dips, iodine, first, then sun soak.

in that order.

reefman420

this is a disease that will spread but only to other zoas,it also looks like zoa eating nudis,this is why a proper quarintine and dip is the best thing to do for new corals,And six line wrasse,and yellow corris wrasse will help keeping them at bay,i have a sixline in both my tanks,and i didnt quarintine for the first year,i got lucky but i think the 6 line took care of any problems,ie acropora eating flat worms,red bugs,clam snails ect...

goldenmean

I do a FW dip of about 3-5 minutes on all new zoanthids.
After a couple of minutes swirl them around in the water

BEELZEBOB

heres somethin i just noticed.

there are lil white spots on the zoos.

large pods are notorious fro "nipping" polyps to death.

farthes left polyps, that look the most irritated, look at the bottom of the stalks at in the farthest left lil 3 polyp cluster.

whos that there?

guess what TYPE of paly they seem to prefer, palythoa grandis, just like you gots there