help with water

Nemo

question to everyone with an answer. right now i own a salt water fish tank and i am having alot of trouble with keeping my water temp. down. at this time i am young and strangling with this. i now they (companies) make chillers but right now they are way out of my price range. i have also heard of using your a/c but thats hard to run at 60 degrees all time with out paying out of the ..... get my point so if anyone has any suggestions i could use them thanks alot for helping me

nemo

thanks agaoin

blue_eyes53813

Well a couple suggestions. I dont know if you have a glass top on the tank. Any kind of top will hold in heat. All my tanks have been open top and than i point a fan at the top of the water.What kind of lighting do you have? Where you from and where do you think the heat is coming from? I mean humidity, lights, whats the heaters set at? I have never had a chiller and never had a heat problem. Air movement around the tank helps alot.

jimeluiz

Yeah - a little more information from you about your set up will help us help you.

If you have a sump, I have frozen 2 liter Coke bottles of water in my freezer and floated them in my sump to help distribute cooler water in the tank. That helps in a temporary heat wave situation.

I also have a small fan under my hood that vents the hot air from my lights. This is very effective. You can buy a really cheap computer fan from Radio Shack. It will be a little noisy, but it will get the job done. Quieter fans are out there, but for a little more money.

You can always cut back on the number of hours your lights are on during the really hot days.

Obviously, in addition to the hot days, your lights are adding heat to your tank. So strategies that address your lights are helpful.

HTH.

And WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary!

Witfull

little clip on desk fans work great also in the sump/under stand area. moving air creates evaporational cooling it can pull a tank 3-4 degrees lower.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Witfull said:
little clip on desk fans work great also in the sump/under stand area. moving air creates evaporational cooling it can pull a tank 3-4 degrees lower.

FANS! They make a huge difference in tank temperature. Just be sure to keep an eye on evaporation.. it will increase with the use of fans. Make sure to top off with fresh water atleast once a day so the water's salinity doesn't fluctuate too much and stress the inhabitants.

Gina

RS STAFF
Use eggcrate on top of your tank and like mentioned above fans for the sump.
What type of lighting are you using?