help with new orange firefishes

Susan987

I have had an established tank for over 2 years. I rearranged the rock yesterday and introduced two orange firefish. Today, I cannot find one and another one is hiding in rock. All of my other fish, including chalk bass, watchman, fairytale wrasse have shown some aggression, which I'm not surprised. Does anyone have any suggestions to help my new firefish survive?

DaveK

I'd look for two things. First check the filtration system and the floor. Firefish are extraordinary jumpers. Second, look for any other fish that seems to be very fat. Firefish are often eaten by other fish, since they are small. The fish may just be hiding, since they are also very timid.

Overall cars isn't too difficult, as they will eat most foods, as long as it's small enough for them.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah check everywhere to see if it jumped. My solo firefish always slept inside a rock and was amazingly fast to dart in for safety. They are rather shy in the beginning sorry to look early in the morning for them to come out.

Keep the tank well fed and that should help with the aggression.

Susan987

Thank you for your feedback. I saw my gobie for about 1.5 seconds this early afternoon, until it got scared and hid. Hopefully it will be more comfortable in a couple of days.

Blue Space

Firefish are notoriously timid animals. they're probably chilling out in their newly built lair under your rocks. Once you find the entrance to their den you may be able to spot one peeking out. not eating for a few days after being introduced is normal. After a few days give a healthy sized feeding to make sure there's enough food for everyone. take a few steps back from the tank to see if your new timid friends come out to eat.

Stephane Cote

Yeah check everywhere to see if it jumped. My solo firefish always slept inside a rock and was amazingly fast to dart in for safety. They are rather shy in the beginning sorry to look early in the morning for them to come out.

x2

My filefish stays near it's home and darts under a rock really really fast. it's amazing how fast these are. Of course, cover your aquarium as sometimes when it's spooked it jumps.
at first I found mine very shy and i have to approach my aquarium slowly.. now that it knows me it doesn't jet away on fist sight.