Help with new large Zoa colony ...

igoblox

I recently purchased a large (for me) Zoa colony. Only 40% of the polyps were open in the store, I brought it home and within 24hrs about 75-80% were open. The pic is roughly 24hrs after being in my tank.
I have 3 questions

1- Is it necessary to perform an iodine dip? Will it hurt anything? There some damaged polyps at the top of the colony I assume its from shipping but it could be something else, I want to be proactive if its a pest or fungus.

2- The die off mentioned above is being eaten by my bi colored blenny (in pic). Will he stop eating them once he consumes the dying/dead polyps? Or is he going to continue grazinig on them?

3- The bottom side of the coral is just the coral skeleton, it is not attached to a rock. Do I need to lay it flat against a rock or sandbed? Or does it matter?

Thanks in advance.

zoa_zpsc7eac9ef.jpg

frisbee

I'm not really sure about an iodine dip, being that any sick or damaged zoas are fairly easy to remove if need be, but a freshwater dip might be a good idea. There's all kinds of pests that often hitchhike there way into our tanks on large colonies like that. The links below should help you out.
The blenny will most likely stop when the well runs dry so to speak. Healthy polyps are not really on the menu if you know what I mean. As far as placement goes, it doesn't really matter. Zoanthids are not too demanding when it comes down to lighting & flow. Pretty soon you won't be able to move that rock without using a little bit of force. Zoanthids can spread fairy quick under the right conditions. GL.

http://www.coralpedia.com/index.php?module=Gallery2&g2_itemId=384

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...nthids-closed-care-pests-troubleshooting.html

reefle

Iodine dip wouldn't be a bad thing. I've heard Vitamin C helps Zoas recover as well.

I personally would be worried about the blenny. If he develops a taste for zoas, he may not stop. Though I've never heard of a blenny picking at corals.

The rock placement is fine. Only if you want the zoas so spread, will you wanna put them on a flush surface.

igoblox

Thanks Frisbee. Good to know on the blenny and placement.
I had read several places about FW dip being more risky than iodine/tank water. I wanted to see if anyone had any input on the matter.
I have read alot of people using iodine when polyps aren't opening, usually because of pests or an infection. Which initially I thought was the problem with this colony since they were only partially opened in the store. So I was prepared to dip them last night but when I got home the majority of them were open.
So there may not be a problem, but I didnt know if it was a good idea to dip them anyway. If so which was safer.
Also thanks for the links!

igoblox

I have had the Blenny for over 18months and he has never bothered any of my other coral. I even had some other Zoas, along with many other corals prior to my GHA meltdown. He never bothered any of them.
But as soon as I put this piece in the tank he scanned the surface and started munching on the damaged spot within 30min!
There was a bald spot last night where he had picked the damaged ones away and his stomach was fully distended and lumpy.
I really hope he stops when the unhealthy ones are gone. I actually thought about pulling him and donating him to a LFS if he wont stop but he is impossible to catch!

reefer gladness

My first thought is the blenny is picking at algae growing on the damaged areas and it's not harming the corals at all.

If the first is not true then I would suspect the blenny is starving, sadly many of these fish are underfed in smaller reef aquariums. Try supplementing the diet with some nori and/or spirulina

igoblox

Well it looks like he has stopped with the damaged/dead polpys. After comparing my pic from Monday to the colony last night, I dont believe he has bothered any of the healthy polyps.
Also instead of nipping at the bad spot every 10min like he was doing Monday, he only pecked at it a couple of times all night. (that I noticed)
So hopefully he will leave them alone moving forward.

He does always seem to be searching for food but he eats everytime I put flake or mysis shrimp in there. Maybe I will try some nori.

Thanks reefle and reefer gladness for the replies.