Help with my Anthelia

jrf1175

I posted this question in my Chronicle but haven't received any responses so I thought I would try a stand alone thread to get some more responses. First of all in my Chronicle I was referring to it as Xenia as I was confusing the names.

This is a Wavy-Hand Anthelia and was picked up from a local reefer in August. I have recently moved and the first photo here is it shortly after the move fully expanded and looking great!

IMG_1852a.JPG

This second shot was two weeks later. It just is opening up the same anymore and looks like it is getting smaller and smaller, opening up less and less.

IMG_1941a.JPG

Today it looks even worse.

My water parameters are good and haven't changed since the move. The only parameter I haven't tested for recently is Calcium. As their any special needs of these that I am not aware of?

Help please...:bouncebox

Thanks!

framerguy

Waving Hand Coral (Anthelia sp.)
I found this care thread for Anthelia's. How is your iodine level, it should be around .06. Try some DT's phytoplankton, but use less than the bottle says. I've found when I use as much as directed I get an algae bloom. It sounds like they need relatively high lighting and high flow also, where's yours located?

jrf1175

Waving Hand Coral (Anthelia sp.)
I found this care thread for Anthelia's. How is your iodine level, it should be around .06. Try some DT's phytoplankton, but use less than the bottle says. I've found when I use as much as directed I get an algae bloom. It sounds like they need relatively high lighting and high flow also, where's yours located?

Thanks. I don't currently test for iodine. I guess now that I am getting more corals I should do this..?

I found that link as well.

Mine is about 1/3 from the bottom and I have pretty good flow in the system (Return + 2xTunze 6045). It hasnt been moved since it was in great shape, so I would think the placement is fine.

framerguy

Iodine is not a difficult thing to test for, I do test for it. I started using TM pro salt so I stopped dosing Seachems Iodide (if you do start dosing, use that) because I thought TM was high in iodine. After 3 weeks I tested and the reading was undetectable so I started dosing again and my softies have seemed happier.

Koda2007

Really sorry you are not getting any help with youir problem,

The only way i can help you is to post my setup. I have a few anthelia types and all are flourishing well and have never had any problems. In fact they have spread to numerous rocks so I have been able to sell some.

300 watts metal halide 14000k
110 watts T5 Aquablue+ ( 60/40 mix of 6000k and 22000K )
Deltec mce 600 skimmer
30x water turnover
Aqua medic nitrate reductor ( closed 1000 unit ) with p3000 doing pump
Aqua medic calcium reactor
Masive amount of live rock
Small sump with cheato + other macro algae

Temp 78
sg 1.025
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 ( hence nitrate reductor )
Phosphate 0 - 0.1
Calcium 450ppm
Magnesium 1300ppm
DKh 9
Ph 8.2

One thing I forgot to mention when posting my setup in the hello forum was that not long after I setup my reef I read an article about someone ( I cant remember who other than he was a well known marine aquarist ) putting a powerhead with the flow directed to the surface. He stated the difference in the corals was enormous. I did this and he was right.
In the middle of my reef surrounded by live rock to disguise it I placed a 2000litre pump directed at the surface. The water surface movement is very strong. On a number of occasions I have moved this pump to a more normal flow direction as are the other pumps and the corals do not appear as vigorous even after a period of time. Within a day or two of putting the pump back the corals are looking pumped up/vigorous.

Best wishes

jrf1175

Iodine is not a difficult thing to test for, I do test for it. I started using TM pro salt so I stopped dosing Seachems Iodide (if you do start dosing, use that) because I thought TM was high in iodine. After 3 weeks I tested and the reading was undetectable so I started dosing again and my softies have seemed happier.

I am actually just about through 1 bucket of TMP salt. Probably 2 months or so now, and the Anthelia has ben going down hill for about 3 weeks.

I have a test kit in my shopping cart now and am looking at suplliments..do you prefer Seachem to Kent?

Thanks again!

framerguy

Seachem Iodide is a safe supplement. Iodine additives have to break down in the tank and the final, most usable stage is iodide. It's the breaking down stage that is the dangerous part. Seachem has taken care of that. In this instance I prefer Seachem to Kent.