Help with MP20, please

dfurbee

I am setting up a SW tank, and using my old equipment. when setting up the MP20 powerhead, the propeller tries to work, but will not. Do I need to order a new wet side for my old MP20? Thanks :help:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I would take the drive shaft apart and look for damage. If you youtube it there are pretty clear videos on how to do it. after you've verified that it works then calling ecotech is prob best as they can trouble shoot......odds are you'll need to buy something unless it is ceased up from buildup. Hopefully a good cleaning will work.

AJ REEF

I would take the wetend apart and make sure everything rotates nice and easy. Some of the older magnets rusted. and even some of their replacements swelled.

Also you can take the pin indexer off the dry side and operate the pump in your hand or on the floor, to be sure it's spinning freely.

dfurbee

Thanks for you help! I took the wet side apart and it is rusted really bad, will try and fix. If cannot will have to purchase a new wet side.

BLADEYAMAHA

I'd sand down some of the rusted parts on the out side only, and/or the inside and recoat with plastic coat if you know what I'm talking about, sand down till you can coat it with plasti coat and still have clearance, I'm a miser with money! :D I don't care about looks and you can use the orange color or what ever else you find, the last time I bought some was in the 90's though at Walmart, it came in like a 6 ounce jar. Its like for projects and things, you might find it in Hobby Lobby near the model airplanes and things. :)

AJ REEF

I would rather get a replacement magnet from Ecotech. They are not too expensive. The new ones are covered in plastic.

I'm not sure it painting or coating would be a good idea. As it may throw off the balance of the rotating assembly causing other issues.