help with ID

anybody have a clue as to what this is ?

I've been seeing them floating on top of the water. last night I cleaned them out, this morning I see more and cleaned them out. I get home from work and there they are again.

Attachments

• Jr0002.JPG
    Jr0002.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Jr0006.JPG
    Jr0006.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 69

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Unusual, looks like rice or insect eggs. Is it possible that something external is dropping in the tank? I don't think I know of anything marine and living that collects in the meniscus? I'm tagging.

Unusual, looks like rice or insect eggs. Is it possible that something external is dropping in the tank? I don't think I know of anything marine and living that collects in the meniscus? I'm tagging.

could be something external, the top is wide open. weird thing is when I clean them out 15-20 mins later I see 3-4 more on top. I'm going to have to sit there and wait to see where they are coming from

Do you have access to a dissecting microscope?

nope.

I just sat there and stared waiting to find the source, but after a while I just saw a few pieces floating outta nowhere, eventually I took out 6 more pieces.

could they have come from the live rock ? its a 3 week old tank, rock is 1 week old. do these green bubbles have anything to do with the maggots ?

Attachments

• Nana0006.JPG
    Nana0006.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 60

BrothaWolf

I would take that rock with the green bubbles out and scrub it well before they spread... dont know about the maggoty things though

cracker

Most likely some sort of eggs dying off from the LR, but could be mosquito larva. You say you just got the rock? It may have recenty been in holding tanks, exposed to the outdoors. Radio Shack has small lighted , hand held microscopes at radio shack for under 10 bucks.

Scouter Steve

My bet is a larvae from an insect while the rock was "precured" before you got it. Many suppliers use a misting system that does expose the rock to insects in the air. They'll just die or already dead. The green bubbles look like bubble algea. Get it out of the tank and then scrub it in clean saltwater to prevent it from spreading.

vdituri

Twentyone, I've been cycling new live rock as well and had the same things in my tank. I found them lodged in parts of the live rock and when I aquascaped I found more. They appear to be little cocoons. I've also noticed what look like large fruit flies in my apartment that were never there before. I never knew about stores misting LR before but that would explain how a fly could lay eggs on LR. I always assumed they were under water at stores. That is what I get for assuming.

:smck:

Scouter Steve

I never knew about stores misting LR before but that would explain how a fly could lay eggs on LR. I always assumed they were under water at stores. That is what I get for assuming.

:smck:

I would think you are right, the stores keep LR under water in tubs. Their suppliers I have read "precure" by spraying the rock with ocean water. Mass production for them and they are right at the ocean so just a pump, a rack and they are all set. No need for filters or skimmers, dead stuff falls off and crabs and such crawl off back to the ocean.