help with hippo tang

becki

i bought the tang and some coral from someone who was getting out of the hobby.
I've had him about 2 weeks ,he's eating great but he's scratching himself on rocks,and he's been backed up to the coral banded shrimp all day ,what should i do or will the shrimp take care of his etchies.
Everthing else i bought is doing great and my water is testing out great.

DaveK

While your at it, check for disease. Tangs are often referred to as "Ich Magnets" because they pick up the disease so easily.

prow

not uncommon behavior on the tangs part. new place new little thingys for him to get use to. just keep an eye out for any skin eruptions or breathing issues. the coral banded is not going to help much if at all, a skunk cleaner yeah but not the banded. what tests have you done on your tank?

michael_cb_125

Look at the thread just posted about Ick. VERY HELPFUL
Although Ick is a possiblity, there are a multitude of things that could cause the scratching behavior.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
he's eating great but he's scratching himself on rocks,and he's been backed up to the coral banded shrimp all day

Usually an indication of parasitic infection, how big is your tank and how long has it been setup ? Have there been any temperature fluctuations between transport to your tank ? Did you quarantine the fish for any lenght of time ? What is your fish list ?

there are some treatements that you can dose in your tank without harming any corals or fish supposedly, but its always better to dose in a QT

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
there are some treatements that you can dose in your tank without harming any corals or fish supposedly, but its always better to dose in a QT

There is nothing effective that can be used to treat Ich without harming invertebrates. If the fish are quarantined and treated with the proper methods {copper/hyposalinity} then you'll never have to worry about Ich.

If it is in fact Cryptocaryon irritans here's a site that'll give you some info on how to treat if necessary.

ATJ's Marine Aquarium Site - Reference - Marine "Ich"

Last edited:

kyle1284

becki... I too have a blue hippo tang and it developed A TON of raised white spots when i finally moved it from the QT to the DT and 2 days later they are all gone so i am Almost sure that this is nothing that you need to worry about just dose garlic in the tank along with the food with some sechem and if its just a settling in problem it should go away in no time! Hope all goes well!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
i am Almost sure that this is nothing that you need to worry about just dose garlic in the tank along with the food with some sechem and if its just a settling in problem it should go away in no time!

Really, how's that ? If you have a fish that's become infected how is it logical to remove him from the QT where you can easily treat him and place him in the display where now all of your fish are going to become infected ?

kyle1284

Really, how's that ? If you have a fish that's become infected how is it logical to remove him from the QT where you can easily treat him and place him in the display where now all of your fish are going to become infected ?
I was refering to my blue hippo that i took under my care because a friend was getting out of the hobby . i put him in my QT tank for 5 weeks to make sure he was parasite free then when i put him in the DT his skin had all kinds of raised bumps and white bumps. Then i took his food dosed it with garlic and sechem then 2-3 days later all the bumps are gone... no one knows if its ich or not i was just relating my story to his http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...n/24791-ok-i-need-some-advise-about-tang.html

JT101

I have a baby (about 7/8" long) in my AquaPod 24 that was doing that 1-2 times a day for the first few weeks when I first got him in June but he seemed to be slowing down on it, now he hardly ever does it, going on 6 months.

tbittner

When I first got mine, she itched on the rocks for about a week. From day one, I was soaking her food in Selcon, Zoe, and Garlic and she stopped doing that after about a week.

Beautiful fish!