Help with Brittle Star

docspyro

I just bought some live rock for my aquarium, and the dealer said there was a brittle star inside one of the rocks that wou;dnt come out, so i inherited it. I've only dealt with FO tanks in the past. Im worried because my tank is only about 3 weeks old, it might not be healthy fot the starfish. Any tips on what i should do; how to take care of it?? :confused:

ReefLady

Staff member
Brittle stars are very cool creatures, and excellent scavengers/detritus eaters. We have 2 huge ones that have been with us just about 5 years.

The most important thing with any star, is to keep water parameters stable. They are extremely sensitive to changes in pH, temp, and salinity.

Speaking of salinity, all mobile inverts should be kept in water which closely mimics that of natural sea water -- full strength salinity ( 1.025 ) is a must. 1.024 at the lowest.

They'll readily accept supplemental feedings of a raw chunk of seafood now and then. They're mostly nocturnal, so you won't see them often, but they're very cool creatures.

Enjoy!

BoomerD

Your tank will likely have to finish going thru it's initial cycle, and depending on how much live rock you added, it should go quickly now. Live rock is a great way to speed up a cycle. Hopefully, there's not too much ammonia or nitrites. They should be able to tolerate a little bit of either, but more than traces could be fatal. They should be kept in good water conditions. Hopefully, your water is cycled enough that with the live rock, there won't be enough of either toxin to harm the star.
By the way, almost the only part I ever see of my 10"+ brittlestar is the thinnest parts of it's tentacles as it sweeps around looking for tidbits to eat.

Cougra

Congrats on your inheratence! They are awesome little creatures and very good at hiding!

mwrager

Thanks NaH2O for the link, I have several in my tank. The biggest is called BIG DADDY. He is about 18 to 20 inches from tip to tip. I olny see the tips of his legs the main part stays hidden all day. He has come out at night but I have not gotten a good pic yet. When I do I will post it.

docspyro

:D Thanks everyone. He finally came out of the live rock and found a spot in between 2 rocks. Hes about 6 in. across from arm to arm. He seems to be doing ok and ive seen him movin around i guess looking for food. Ill keep everyone updated.