Help with ammonia

steved13

PREMIUM
Live rock and live sand will not instantaneously cycle water, just think about it. It is a known fact.

Nobody said anything about live rock or live sand instantly cyling water. The quesion was why or how will water changes cause a cycle? The bacteria don't heavily populate the water, how will changing it start a cycle?

BLADEYAMAHA

IMO you don't have too many fish. Is something dead in there? I'm at a loss at what to say too, unless you are not using carbon, or you have not been changing it, but with age of the tank and the amount of live rock, without carbon you should almost be fine unless you do not have a refugium. I guess it is possible if you are not running carbon in a media reactor, and the protein skimmer is on the fritz, there is a call for the ammonia spike.
Have you been doing you weekly 10% water changes with RO or RO/DI water?

BLADEYAMAHA

You obviously did not understand my post then so I will reiterate "if you do too many water changes(and I meant with water change water that is freshly mixed) in short period of time, there will be a cycle in the tank.

steved13

PREMIUM
Ok, the tank is about 10 months old. Here is the list of stock:
2 clowns
1 tang (Kole)
1 Flame Angel
3 Green Chromis

I have a strong CUC from reefcleaner.org consisting of snails (several types) an dblue leg hermits. I also have about 75-80 lbs. of live rock. I am at a loss to what is causing this as the tank has been running fine up until about a month ago now. For the last month I have batteled with this issue, but only today has it become this high. The past month the ammonia test has showed very little ammonia. Today it was high. All other parameters test (includes: nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, ph, and Alk. were good). I recently (last Thursday) changed one of the mechanical filter sponges in the tank. My skimmer does nto seem to be producing like it used to and I have played with it trying to get it to produce foam like it used to, but it won't change. The tank is a Red Sea Max 250 (65 gallon).

Unless everything is fully grown I don't think your overstocked. As Adam said your bio filter is broken...but why. Have you had any coral (or anything) die? Just for anyone following along...it would have been better to address this when ammonia levels were low. Ammonia should be 0 at all times once the cycle is complete. Any ammonia is an indicator of an insufficient bio filter. Ammonia should be converted by the bio filter very quickly so that the level is always measured at 0.

I put fresh carbon in it about 3 weeks ago. From what I have been told by more experienced people than myslef the carbon is essentially done doing anything right after it is installed. In other words, it will work and do its job when initially installed, but will not continue doing anything long term, say a month. Should I change the carbon to fresh carbon?

carbon doesn't last long, but I doubt that's causing the ammonia. I change mine every 2-3 weeks.

Is there anyway to remove the livestock so you can cycle the tank?

steved13

PREMIUM
You obviously did not understand my post then so I will reiterate "if you do too many water changes(and I meant with water change water that is freshly mixed) in short period of time, there will be a cycle in the tank.

I understood your post perfectly, I don't agree with it, and I'm asking you to explain why water changes will cause a cycle, so that if you are correct I can understand it. Simply making the same statement again does nothing to support why what you say is true. From everything I know, there is no reason why frequent water changes should start a new cycle.

Anselth

I don't think water changes will cause a cycle, this is the first I've heard of that. What they can do is prolong one. When your basic cycle starts, ammonia spikes. The ammonia reducing bacteria population expands to get rid of it, causing nitrite to spike. The Nitrite reducing bacteria population grows, nitrite concentrations decrease, and nitrate concentrations increase. If you do a water change in the middle of a cycle, you deprive these bacteria of food and it takes longer for the population to build up.

Doug, I'd say you have a combination of a bit of overstocking EDIT: when fully grown (~25 inches of fish, and tangs can be messy) coupled with maybe a little too little live rock. I shoot for 1.25-1.5 pounds per gallon, depending on porosity. More porous rock requires less. As for the carbon, it's good to change it out every month. I don't know that it's done as soon as it goes in, but it can trap detritus and other junk, lust like any other filter media.

ViperDoug

I have been addressing this for the last month. Like I said, I have been having trouble getting rid of it and thought it was going in the right direction until this morning. I do have a QT tank that I could move the livestock to bu tto be honest, Iwould need to empty all the live rock to catch these fish. I had to quarantine a fish a while back that was sick and it was the biggest nihgtmare trying to catch that thing. Since this problem started I have lost about 4 corals. I have a couple in there right now that don't look great. I wonder if that is causing the issue with the spike in ammonia. Like I said, I am having the hardest time trying to figure out what is causing this problem and usually the problem becomes evident. This time...not so much. I plan on changing the carbon today.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Is anything being sprayed in your house that could cause the ammonia, like windex or something? This just doesn't make sense to me if all your livestock is accounted for......there has to be a source of the ammonia if your tank is 10 months old.

Anselth

Your best bet is to move your animals into quarantine and address the biological filter. If this has been going on for a month, I'd suggest that it's due to too little filtration - add more cured rock to the system after you remove the fish and corals. Test the water but don't do a change. Test and change the QT water on a daily basis, if necessary, as without a biological filter a QT system will build ammonia quickly. Once your ammonia goes back to zero, drop a couple uncooked shrimp in the system in a media bag (for ease of removal) and test again. If the ammonia doesn't show up over a couple of days, you should be good.

ViperDoug

I calle dmy LFS to inquire about the Seachem Stability. He does have it and I explained to him what was going on. He said it doesn't make sense that the ammonia is that high and the fish are swimming around fine. I told him ( and I should have mentioned this earlier) that when I tested the ammonia last evening and it showed up with a small amount that I installed AmmoLock by API. He said that the AmmoLock will cause a false positive reading and that is what is most likely going on. He said to continue doing water changes every few days for the next week or so and it should go away.

Anselth

Have you tried testing with a different test kit? (One of those: "Shoulda asked that first" type of questions)

ViperDoug

I have a red sea test kit I will try when I get home. That one though never showed zero ammonia and was the reason I bought the API.

steved13

PREMIUM
I have been addressing this for the last month. Like I said, I have been having trouble getting rid of it and thought it was going in the right direction until this morning. I do have a QT tank that I could move the livestock to bu tto be honest, Iwould need to empty all the live rock to catch these fish. I had to quarantine a fish a while back that was sick and it was the biggest nihgtmare trying to catch that thing. Since this problem started I have lost about 4 corals. I have a couple in there right now that don't look great. I wonder if that is causing the issue with the spike in ammonia. Like I said, I am having the hardest time trying to figure out what is causing this problem and usually the problem becomes evident. This time...not so much. I plan on changing the carbon today.

The necrotic tissue, from the dying coral would deffinitely cause an increase in ammonia. Remove them ASAP. We always want to give everything a fighting chance, but this is a case where it could bring eveything down with it.

BLADEYAMAHA

Good to hear about the Ammo Lock and false numbers, and once again I'm not talking about frequent water changes, I am talking about back to back constant water changes to try and correct an ammonia problem, like changing out over 75% of your tanks water.

ViperDoug

I cannot wait to get this tank back under control like it used to be. I really appreciate everyone helping me out this morning. The worst part is the loss that has happened among the corals over this. I have to accept this as a possibilty when owning a reef tank. Like someone elses signature on here says "all of our tanks are constantly on the verge of collapse".

steved13

PREMIUM
You'll have it back in no time. That's a problem I have, I hate to give up, but once they start dying, they can cause a snowball effect.

BLADEYAMAHA

This is just one example of many on the internet of wrong things to do with water changes: if you're new to fish keeping and dont understand "cycling" i strongly suggest you read this: Tips for Cycling Your New Aquarium - The First Tank Guide - Getting Your Fish Tank Up and Running with Minimal Headaches <= this also has a lot of good information that you can benefit from.

but to answer your question: you want to avoid doing 100% water change bc the abrupt change will be stressful for the fish and they'll be prone to sickness, which may lead to death.

i suggest you invest in a siphon tube/vacuum. you can find some for less than $5 and you just suck up all that gunk at the bottom along with some water so at the same time you're "vacuuming" you can get that 25% water change taken care of! =)

also, i would suggest you give your fish less food during feeding. just enough that they will eat so that the water doesnt get dirtied as fast, plus, you save food!
Source(s):
experience, i wish someone sent me that link before or i at least did my research before i got my fish. RIP fish...i got new fish afterwards tho and they're living well tho =)

BLAKEJOHN

Changing water frequently or in large amounts will NOT cause a cycle.

From experience I can tell you this. I did 60% water changes per week for a year and never had the slightest increase in ammonia or any changes. I have done 98% water changes and still no evidence of a cycle. I have done 50% water changes every day for a week straight, and guess what, no cycle at all.

Yes, if you change large amounts of water you better have all your parameters matching or you can cause multiple problems and death which then will cause an increase of ammonia and lead to.a cycle.

When I cure live rock I will not change any water till the cycle is done. And then I will remove all the water and rinse the rock with saltwater, refill the container with new water and purposly foul the water with ammonia to check and see if the live rock is ready to go. Do another 100% water change.

Very little bacteria is in the water column. It is mainly in and on the live rock, hense the name, and sand.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

BLAKEJOHN

I'm sorry but that link you posted is what we do not want people to do.
1) it is refering to fw which is similar.
2) it refers to using fish to cycle ( poor fish)
3) it says to do multiple water changes during the cycle which will extend the cycle and reduce the bacterial populations.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk