Help! What is this green stuff on my lps

Layton128k

Came home to find my candy cane coral that's been doing great to find these green bubbles all over the side of it. Is it algae or something worse? This is the first I've come across this:

Danreef

Macro Algae. No bad for the guy. But will spread with time in the tank. If the candy is not glued to the main rock, take it out and take the algae out of the rock. Is very easy. Do not let it burst inside the tank. I have read it helps to spread it

jkef2010

From the looks of it, it's bubble algae it can grow out of control and spread if those pop in the tank. You can remove the candy out of the tank and remove them off the frag outside the tank. If it persists you can get a emerald crab. They will eat it.

mikecc

Wish I could get that stuff to grow in my tank. Emerald crabs eradicate that stuff. Only guarantee in life.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Bubble algae, here's a good video:
[video=youtube;MeqtPe3XukM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeqtPe3XukM[/video]

wscttwolfe

Wish I could get that stuff to grow in my tank. Emerald crabs eradicate that stuff. Only guarantee in life.

You want bubble algae mikecc?

Most hobbyists consider bubble algae to be one of the most annoying algae.

Some emerald crabs will eat it.

It is a myth that popping the bubbles in the tank will spread it.

Manual removal, emerald crabs, and low nutrient water is the key to getting rid of it.

frisbee

You want bubble algae mikecc?

Most hobbyists consider bubble algae to be one of the most annoying algae.

Some emerald crabs will eat it.

It is a myth that popping the bubbles in the tank will spread it.

Manual removal, emerald crabs, and low nutrient water is the key to getting rid of it.

+1

If you have a large enough tank, there are certain fish that "might" eat bubble algae as well. I've seen an Atlantic Blue tang, a Red Sea Sailfin tang, and a Foxface eat it first hand. I wouldn't recommend adding one of these fish to solve your problem, but it's definitely a plus if it does.

wscttwolfe

There are spores in the bubbles. But there's a very low chance that popping them will lead to new growth, and not trying to remove them is guaranteed to lead to new growth.

It is a myth to say that popping the bubbles guarantees spreading the algae.

"Much has been said about the danger of liberating spores when popping the vesicles of bubble algae. This is particularly true for members of Order Valoniaceae, but even then, the vesicles are said to be a sporulant risk only when having reached at least a third of their full size. Even if spores escape when you botch the job of vesicle-removal ('vesectomy', anyone?), those escapee spores have to run the gauntlet of herbivorous filter feeders, filtration equipment, and the wild lottery of hitting a good, unoccupied spot to settle and grow. Those spores will eventually be released anyway if you don't remove the vesicles."

Horge Cortes-Jorge Jr., "'Bubble' Algae: Selected Descriptions, Controls and Comments." http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/hcj/feature/

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I deal with a few GBA now & then....my best advice is to just be your own little Emerald Crab and remove them as you see them.
GBA had me worried when I first discovered it in a few places. I thought my tank was doomed to be covered with it. It can be manually controlled pretty easy. Just get it out ASAP & don't worry about an occasionally popped bubble. The main thing I have noticed is if you don't get ALL the spore off (leave a little piece of GBA skin) then it will regrow in that spot. Keep an eye on the places you've removed some from in case it regrows there.

That video above is a good example of what will happen to your tank if you don't start removal as soon as you see the GBA appear. I can not believe how much he let it get out of control! Stay on it & it won't get out of control.
Unless you want to trust an army of Emerald Crabs...just do it yourself. It's not that hard to do.