Help! Star Polyps haven't opened for three days!

Scottg

The colony is about 20 polyps large, Ive had them in the tank for about two months now, and three days ago they just didn't "wake up". I did not notice anything unusual prior to the issue. Aside from one or two polyps opening about halfway at a time, the whole colony hasn't opened in three days. Water parameters are in order, and I alternate feeding phyto feast and kent marine microvert 4 times a week.

What could cause this? If it would help, I could post pics.

FallChinook

Where are they at in your tank? I noticed the same thing last week and it was that we had moved a coral and the star polyps weren't getting enough light. We moved them up top and they woke right up!

BLAKEJOHN

Mine will pout from time to time. Sometimes lasting a few days. It is normal, just give it a few more days and they will open up. In the meantime check your water params.

lcstorc

Watch the mat on the rock. If the mat is ok then they should be fine. If it starts to decay then they are in real trouble. I don't know what to tell you to fix the trouble. I lost mine after them going great for about a year.

jamielai

what causes the mat to decay? I have noticed my star clove not opening over the last few days also. Maybe it's that season.

Decay of the mat just means that it is dying. Usually decay is caused by a chemical problem in the water. If I were you, I would do a big water change and the let your tank stabilize, then after 24 hours or so do another big water change. This should revitalize all the minerals and what-not in your water which, GSP uses to stay alive and grow.