Help---Precision Marine Bullet XL2 Skimmer

nickt

I'm thinking of buying the PM Bullet XL2 skimmer for my 300gal reef tank. Does anybody have one of these, are they good ? This is the largest skimmer they make, The next step down would be the XL1 and bullet 3. How do they compare to ETSS and MTC? So far the customer service has been great but I still would like some real world info. Also, can you set this skimmer above your sump. The reason I ask is because it would be one less bulkhead to drill into my rubbermaid stock tank for the return [simply return it over the top]. I heard they are prone to leaking, and there aren't that many flat spots to install a bulkhead. All the help you can give, thanks. :bigbounce

mps9506

Sorry, I've never used the pm Bullet.
I do have experience with the MRC beckett skimmers which are fairly similar though.
I don't think you will want to return it over the top, unless the base of the skimmer is sitting higher than the stock tank because the back pressure on the outlet will negatively affect the skimming performance.

I can give you any recomendations on the performance having never used it before though. The becketts do a great job, but I'm partial to the recirc skimmers myself because they don't require such a big pump.

nickt

I am planning to place the bottom of the skimmer, level with the top of edge the sump [stock tank]. Well above water level.The return will go out maybe 1 foot then down to the sump. The pump will be an Iwaki 70rlt [don't like the energy used but plenty of pressure].

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
contact livingreef he has the bullet 1 sharkys sells them also email him and he'll help you out my opinion on livingreefs skimmer works great gonna get a bullet 2 myself as soon as I get income tax back

livingreef2004

hi nickt i have the bullet 1 on my 90 gallon reef and i honestly couldnt be happier with it. the skimmer is always pushing out some sick nasty dry foam.
i have it operating out of the sump about 15 inch's off the floor that would be a little high for the recomended pump but i run a mag 18 on mine(1800gph) so i raised it a lil more. the outlet from the skimmer must be above the water level in the sump

once you get the skimmer dialed in you will never have to adjust it again. one tip i will give you is that you should get a oversized waste collection container cause this thing is a skimming monster especially with an oversized pump i use a 7 gallon water container for mine and i empty it once a month

ill post some pics of the skimmer for ya in action

good luck and let us know what you decide to go with

Attachments

• bullet1.jpg
    bullet1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 29
Those Pm's are really good quality skimmers Nick. I would either run that or an E.T.S.S. Super Skimmer 1400 Gemini. These are what I am putting on each of my 210 gallon display tanks in my store. You can read up a little on them at www.championlighting.com. The price is pretty steep, but I've been told that these guys are some bad boys for the larger sized tanks such as yours. Tanner