Help on unknown algae..

leng1986

Hello people,

Can any1 teach me how to remove this algae (not sure wat type is this). Any cleaning crew that will consume this? The algae is all over my tank.

any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_050011.JPG
    IMG_050011.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_049511.JPG
    IMG_049511.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_049622.JPG
    IMG_049622.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 208

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
looks like Bryopsis of some kind, phosphate levels and nitrates play a key roll, its a tough one to beat but can be done with strict management, good luck!

Conrad25

+1 on the Bryopsis. First I would try to rip it down. I would pull the rocks out that have it and putem in a bucket of saltwater and rip off as much as you possibly can. The reason for the bucket is so it does not spread thru out your tank if you accidently have some fly off. Than I would raise your magnesium levels to 1800ppm as the Bryopsis is very fragile to magnesium and can't take it. The results will be that the Bryopsis will die off and it does not affect your fish or corals you have. I have about 20 Different corals in mine with the C.U.C. and two clowns with no ill effects. I just did this less than a month ago and it wiped out. They say you shouldn't raise anything more than 20ppm per day. But most people have accidently doses 900ppm in a day with no ill effects. I raised mine from 1100 to 1812 in 2 days. Mine was not as severe as yours, but It is always a guarentee to work. I would not rely on any C.U.C. as none will touch that stuff much and also you have it to the point where its getting out of control. Depending on your size of your tank. You can eiether dose with Kent Tech M otherwise if its a huge tank, than you will have to go the route of Epsom Salts and Magnesium Chloride. You can google Magnesium fix for Bryopsis and probably get a billion responses on how to do it.

Good Luck!

Conrad

tektite

It looks like hair algae to me. Hard to tell for sure with the pictures. If the algae strands are just one straight strand, its hair algae. If the algae strands look like really delicate ferns, its bryopsis. Which does it look like? Hair algae is much easier to get rid of than bryopsis.

What's your current CUC?

leng1986

I will try to raise the MG level, removing rock from the tank will be quite challenging as there are anemones on the rock, I afraid if i move the rock it will get shocked and stressed. Is there any invert that eat this algae?
BTW, many thanks for the reply ^^ i though no1 will help me...

tektite

Sorry, CUC is clean up crew, crabs, snails, etc. To know if anything will eat it, we'd need to know if its hair algae or bryopsis.

Is it just single strands of algae, or are they like tiny fern fronds?

If its bryopsis, you'll want to try raising your Mg as pretty much nothing will eat it.
If its hair algae, there are several different creatures that will eat it.

+2 on bryopsis. I think it's bryopsis too. It looks like several hairs are connected to one stem instead of hair algae where each one is a single strand.

johnmaloney

when you change your mag levels, watch your other parameters (alk, calcium and maybe even ph can be affected by it)

leng1986

hey guyz,

is hard to remove it with hand and brush, it stick hard on the rock. I only manage to pull out the long 1, but base on my observation it does not look like hair algae as described. Here is the closer picture on the long greeny things. is looks like wires to me -.-

Any idea what algae is this?

Attachments

• IMG_0585.JPG
    IMG_0585.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0597.JPG
    IMG_0597.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 156

sambrinar

try putting a piece of the hard part of velcro on a stick of some kind and attach it to a suction tube that way when you scrub it it will siphon it out.. it will work with some effort... good luck

NanoNewbie

If it is bryopsis lettuce slug will take care of it quickly.
I had one cleaned my 14gal biocube which was overgrown with it in just couple weeks. But once the bryopsis is gone the slug wont have anything to eat.

cbrownfish

It looks a bit bright green to be bryopsis but I can say for sure from the pics (your first pic definitely does resemble it though). Bryopsis has a feathery appearance as in my picture below. "Hair algae" is a generic term that typically describes several species of algae, including: Bryopsis, Cladophora, and Derbesia.

3256296311_7afdf864b9_o.jpg

leng1986

ermm... so it means it is still classify as hair algae? These things here grow very fast... does sea hare consume this?

Ssullivan

pull out as much by hand as possible turbos, emeralds, and lettuce slugs will then eat it, but like said before lettuce slugs will starve out when the algae is gone

cbrownfish

Bryopsis is indeed a version of "hair" algae, however, it is the least desireable of the 3 (grazers don't tend to eat it as well). This is a phase that many newer tanks go through, so don't over react here. Be patient and work on manual removal and nutrient export (PO4, NO3 reduction).

Good article -- Phosphate and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

As someone suggested earlier, though the post was incomplete, there is a product that many have used to beat Bryopsis. Tech M magnesium has some sort of an ingredient or byproduct that will typically kill bryopsis when you dose it to raise Mg. You need to utilize it and raise your Mg level by 300-400 ppm, maintaining that level temporarily. Many have successfully eliminanted bryopsis this way.

WTKE-TM64.jpg

DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT A FAN OF TREATING THE SYMPTOM, IN THIS CASE THE ALGAE, AS THE ELEVATED NUTRIENTS THAT LEAD TO SUCH AN OUTBREAK CAN OFTEN FUEL OTHER ISSUES WHEN THE BRYOPSIS IS GONE (CYANO, TURF ALGAE, ONE OF THE OTHERS LISTED ABOVE).

leng1986

I see, I will try my best to remove it with hand. some are difficult coz there are some livestock on the rock.