Help! New Beggai Cardinals!

Flarpsodge4442

Hello! Today I purchased two Benggai Cardinals as they were recommended for my fairly new tank of 4 weeks. I have 13 pounds of live rock, and my nitrates are holding at zero. They seem to stay with each other, but tend to rest in the back corner of my tank and won't move anywhere else. Sometimes one of them will move to a lower sump intake and swim against the current, but again, only stays there. My water parameters are in check, and I was wondering if this was normal behavior. Thanks for any help!

BLADEYAMAHA

Your tank is too young for fish. IMO. These fish don't do much except school, you need to keep a close eye on these and maybe if they make it you ought to get some more to make them feel at home. They are very delicate as well.

modulok

I agree that they might not be the hardiest fish. I've had one for over a year and he is a picky eater. Never goes after flakes or pellets.

Also he would hide when the lights are on until he finally got used to them and is out during the day.

Sent from my mobile communication device

immerume2

Don't be hard on the guy. The fish you have there are typically skiddish and hide a lot until they get used to things. I will take a week or two for them to get up the courrage to get out into the tank. Keep a close eye on them at feeding and make sure they eat. I would keep them in there on their own for at least another month to make sure you don't hit another small cycle that would blast any fish you have. If you are looking for action I might take those two back If you can and get a couple of damsels that tend to be hardier and will swim around much more. At some point down the road you wil likely take the damsels back too but a fish like that might solve a couple of issues your tank might experience. Ask away with the questions.

Tell us a little more about your setup.

cgkrick

I have a caramel clown that was the least interesting fish ever. Did nothing but hang out top center of the tank near the skimmer inlet, toddling back and forth. This lasted a couple months. He was my first fish. Then I get a couple green chromis and they are very active and hang out at the same level, but all over the tank. He joins up with them and now all of them are all over every day.

Thought I was going to send him to counseling to find a personality. He just needed a friend.