Help needed desperatley! To catch crabs...

hi you could try resting a pint glass on an angle on the live rock and put a cockle in the bottom of the glass the crabs will climb into the glass for the food but will get stuck on the slippery surface of the glass and not get out

BEELZEBOB

you could simply not were shorts in the locker room of you local YMCA.

you'll catch some crabs fo sho!

burkus222

I caught another Gorilla crab last night. (4 now in total) Iv'e also attached some pics as requested. Thanks for the advice. Getting a Mantis shrimp sounds like a good idea but they seem to be coming out easily enough with the right trap in the right places. I also don't have a big enough quarintine tank to put all my fish in. I have 9 fish and some inverts. Iv'e left the trap in place during the day so the Goby's no longer in danger as it's blocking the spot were the large crab is a danger to passers by.

What type of glass trap did you use I have one of these in my tank and I think he is killing some of my invertebrets. He is very small and i can not get to him to stab him. Let me know what glass set up you used. I hear everyone naming what they used to kill them but not telling me what the set up is.

Thanks so much
Emily

lcstorc

A tall glass leaning against the rock with bait of some type on the bottom. The crab goes in to get the bait and cannot climb out of the glass sides.

travis127

I dunno if this will help but I had a crap that needed to get out so I took a small baby bottle put 2 or 3 hole in the top sides of the bottle and used sowing string to tie through the holes and made it long enough to lower into the tank ..then I filled it with a little crushed coral to weigh it down some and then a some piece of shrimp in there in lure him in ..I laid the opening of the bottle facing his cave (which is under the rock) within 5 mins he was in there and i just lifted my string up and he was stuck! Worked good and fast!

robhart60

A tall glass leaning against the rock with bait of some type on the bottom. The crab goes in to get the bait and cannot climb out of the glass sides.

Thats all I did, and it worked every time! It's sometimes awkward with a tall glass if the crab stays towards the bottom of the tank.
Also my cleaner shrimp kept stealing the bait as soon as lights out so I had to start adding extra bait so theres enough to go round. :hug1:

I tried a few other traps similar to the ones already mentioned but they didn't work for me. Best advice would be to keep trying different traps untill one works. You could also try using different bait if at 1st your not successful.

Hope that helps ya.

Rob

Gee

Theglass against the rock worked for me, i have 2 more that i know of to catch, here the 1st i catch

And the new trap for the other ones, it is a shooter glass.

Attachments

• IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 66
  • crabe.jpg
    crabe.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 64

PIMPALA

not sure what size tank you have, but check these out:

Southern Wire Company - Home

works great in my tank!

crabsInTrap.jpg