HELP NEEDED!Banded Urchin vs Blue Chin Triggerfish

brew66

Hi I have a very unhappy blue chin triggerfish who had a spine from my banded sea urchin stuck through his lip. He managed to get it out but was shaken up.Several days later the same thing happened..I have removed the banded urchin from the tank.
My problem is,Trigger has hidden himself at the bottom of the tank wedged between a rock and hasnt moved for 3 days.He was vertical for a day but has changed into horizontal stance now.He is alert but will not move out of where he is. It really distressed him when he had the second spine in his lip.I have been to my local fish supplier and they have told me to try Melafix but I was wondering if there was anything else I can try.I hate to see him so unhappy.
Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

Last edited:

reefmasta

hmmm, make sure hes getting food #1, and see if his lip is getting better or worse. if its getting better and looks ok then keep doin what ur doin. if its bad and no sign of recovering then try the melafix. its a great anti-bacterial natrual fix and rappidly helps repair open wounds and other stuff. safe with corals and inverts. just turn skimmer off and i think U.V. and you will be fine just go by the bottles directions and maybe a little less.

brew66

Thankyou for advice. I have been treating with melafix for 3 days now,he is pushed out by the female and we think hes getting better then he retreats back to wedging himself against a rock.He did eat a bit of seaweed but that is about it. He seems to be twitching his tail from about halfway down his body..almost like a he is having a fit. I am getting really worried now. His eyes are moving constantly back and forth and he still looks stressed. Skimmer off and lights minimal. Hes a lovely fish and I dont want to lose him.

brew66

Hello all. Just an update..my Trigger is still unwell.Looking decidedly unhappy.He keeps curling his tail and rear of body round every few seconds as if he is in pain,a little bit like a siezure or twinge.I really dont know what to do.The water has been treated for 5 days now. His eyes move wildly from side to side sometimes. Help please. Thankyou

you might wanna get him in to a hospital tank where he is by himself to recoop. if not your signs could mean an early death. he is so stressed right now. just look at what he is showing you. just think of your dog doing the same. you would think there is something wrong, because there is. no use letting him get worse pull him out in a small tank and let him get better before he dies!!!!!

fellers

Does he maybe still have a tiny piece of a spine in his tissue?
This sucks. I have a male and female Blue Throat Trigger.
They are by far my fav fish. They are smart, literally.
I hope your guy pulls through.
Any updates?