Help..Need a refresher

on when to add following cycle.

At my age the memory isn't what it used to be. When I set up my first tank 3 years ago, I took things very slow and had good success. I hope to repeat that again. Anyway, my 75G tank was set up just 11 days ago, and the live rock I used had cycled for 13 weeks prior to going into my tank, and had minor dieoff having been shipped to me overnight. I had a minor ammonia spike the first two days and it then fell to zero. As of today, params are as follows:

pH 8.2
ALK 10.0 (dKH)
Calcium 435
Mag. 1300
Ammonia 0
Nitrite .01
Nitrate 3
(All tests Salifert).

AquaC EV-180 has been skimming since day 1.

I would like to add a Detrivoire kit from Inland Aquatics to jump start my dsb. It's a good mix of pods, brittle stars, some small grazers and beneficial bacteria. I would also like to introduce a partial cleanup crew consisting of Nassarius, cerith, astrea, torchus, and a couple of Turbo snails.

I will not add any livestock until week 8-10, and then just a pair of clowns. No corals for 4 months.

Am I good to go for a detrivoire kit and snails by weeks end?

Thanks all!

Hi Craig, Here you go...not much has changed in two weeks. I'm still tinkering with the flow trying to prevent sandstorms while keeping it as strong as I can:
aa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all!

Icebox,

Those are "poor man's" tunze. They are Rio 820's. The first time I turned one off (day 4), it would not restart. It took about 20 attemtps and 15 minutes for it to start up again. The famous Rio quality continues to amaze. Fortumately, I have not experienced an electrical shock yet. It's a love hate relationship....excellent flow from a lousy product. The tunz streems are just too overpowering for a dsb tank that will house primarily lps.

Jimiluiz,

Starting over again is bear! It's amazing how much you forget in a two year period. But then, nothing in this hobby is easy with the possible exception of B-Ionic. I stopped by that fish store on contra costa blvd over christmas. (the name escapes me). Bob, who worked at the aquarium in concord is now over there. He told me that Eddy (former owner of tropical paradise), has moved to Tonga and is aquaculturing corals now. Nice life! I guess someone has to do it....."The Aquarium" closed following an accidental fire alarm which caused the sprinkler system to flood the place causing extensive damage. The insurance rates were raised so high afterwords that Peggy (the owner) decided to retire.

Last edited:

Icebox

That is kewl craig. I was wondering what magic trick you were using to keep the sand on the bottom. :) Superglue, silicone... lol