HELP!! - My birthday gift (5 new fish!)

uclacsnerd

Hi All -

Tomorrow is my birthday and last night my best friends surprised me with some new fish for my 60 gal reef tank. 5 of them!!

1. 4" Dragon Wrasse
2. 3" Singapore Dwarf Angel
3. 1" Blue Dot puffer (I think I've ID'd it correctly)
4. 3" Niger Trigger
5. 5" HumuHumu Trigger

ARGH! Apparently the LFS told them these would all live happily in a community reef. Being in an awkward position I had to put some of them into my tank... so in we 1, 2, 3 in the list.. I had to draw the line on the triggers (much to their dissapointment). So far so good... everything seems ok.

I currently have a 4" DuskyWrass, Maroon clown hosting LTA, a pair anthias and some damsels and cleaner shrimp.

I'm going to go back to the fish store today with the two triggers and have a word with them. Obviously every single fish in the list is a questionable member of a reeftank...but even if that weren't the case.. introducing 5 fish at once is nuts all on its own. What were they thinking??? Advice anyone? Fish related, LFS, etc...

BoomerD

Definitely NONE of those fish meet the standand description of "reef safe". Personally, I'd take them ALL back. The Singapore angel is a known coral & anemone eater, puffers will usually munch all your crustaceans & other motile inverts, as will triggers and the dragon wrasse. While your friends' hearts were in a great place, you gotta teach them to give gift certificates, rather than livestock.

uclacsnerd

I dont mind restocking hermits and snails. I just don't want anyone eat my cleaner shrimp. Typically I've read this can be ok as long as the shrimp is there first (which is the case). I definately will not tolerate anyone muching my corals.

Agreed about friends giving gift certifcates but if an LFS told them "ya thats a great fish".. I see why they bought em. Its irresponsible on the part of the LFS to tell them that just to make a sale. And they missed the real point which is my business.. my friends will probably never be back in that store... but niether will I.

Witfull

look at the teeth on the Dragon Wrasse,,,they love shrimp, i would get them back to the LFS anf have a few well chosen words for the manager/owner.

when i had a store, i always asked what type of tank it was going into and other Q's, and if anything hinted or blatantly came out that it was not their tank,,,,nothing living got sold...PERIOD...I would redirect them to GC or say bring "him" down with out knowing where you're going, and say "surprise your gift is in there,,,,go find it."

uclacsnerd

resolution

I ended up taking all the fish back. Cathing the 3 fish was surprisingly easy.. thank God I didn't have take down the reef.

The owner was very apologetic and couldn't beleive one of his employees would do that. I now have a nice little credit at the store.

I figured what I'll do is let my friends "help" me pick out the fish I get with the credit. Any suggestions?? (looking for fish that are "cool" to non-reefers but still reef compatible).

Witfull

Re: resolution

Originally posted by uclacsnerd
(looking for fish that are "cool" to non-reefers but still reef compatible).

i hate to say it....Nemo?...Dory?....LOL

there are soooo many,,,fairy wrasses have great color, hardy and easy to feed.

uclacsnerd

HAHA.. already have a "Nemo" tho...

You read my mind about the fairy wrasse. I was thinking something exactly along those lines. I have a dusky wrasse right now that I really love. Some amazing colors that change under different lights and a lot of fun watch.

Thanks everyone;

Brucey

Nice story. Glad it ended happily. I introduced a dog face puffer 3 weeks ago and after the first night ALL of my SPS's had been reduced in size by 1 bite. He was hastily taken out of the tank. Now I know about puffers
Brucey