help moving aquariums

Dr. D.F. Puffer

I have to move 700 miles in June. I have a 300gal, a 150gal and a 55gal to move - a total of 14 fish. (fresh and salt). One might think as a small animal and aquatic veterinarian I would know how to do this. I know the specifics of how to move the materials. Thus, I ask if I am not driving my stuff. What is the safest way to move my fish? The last time I moved I was told FedEx would take great care of them and 2 of my 16 fish actually made it to me and both were dead. The remaining 14 were, and I quote, " not insured and they are then not responsible for any living animals and thus there is no guarantee if id they were insured" #fuck them!!!.
Any thought /ideas?

DaveK

The first consideration is what are the fish species and how large are they?

As much as we get attached to out fish, sometimes the best option is to sell, trade, or give them away, rather than move them. Then get new fish at your new location.

The overnight shipping services, even though expensive would be your best option. Generally you want to pack 1 fish per bag and only 1 to 4 fish per box, depending upon the size and species of the fish.

You also want to have fully cycled systems at your new place to receive the fish.

You would have some slight advantage shipping in early June, since outside temps are up but not over the top.

Dr. D.F. Puffer

the largest is a juvenile emperor angel about 4.5". set up at the new location is already underway and cycling now. the shipping part is my problem after the last time i shipped I'm afraid to loose my fish. I have raised all of them from babies. di you or anyone have a company that I can rely on to do the best job possible?
Thanks for your thoughts Dave

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think overnight shipping is your only option because you can’t transport them yourself really.

Companies ship fish all the time. So one per bag, use enough water, fill tight with oxygen, double bag and ship, FedEx or UPS.

now, that’s a lot of money so you’ll need to find the balance for you but I think the “right way” is how vendors do it. Styrofoam cooler, Ice/heat pack, tape openings etc