Help! Mickymouse platy just keeps getting thinner!

Hey leebca I am having a problem with my freshwater tank. My mm platy just keeps getting thinner , it started back in September after I went out of town for a week (put a feeder block in the tank) I noticed the platy's stomach looked pinched. I figured it just didn't eat much so it would get better after eating again. Well in mid January I was finally like wait a minute it's been over 4 months and it's not gotten better. My guess was internal parasites, I treated it separately in a 1 gal betta tank inside the main tank (20 gal) I used jungle parasite clear treated for 4 days (25% water change on day 2 an then redose) she appeared better then put her back into the main tank. Well about a week later she was obviously worse than before (extremely thin,just skin and bones) so I put her back in the 1 gal tank and have dosed about 5-6 times and no change. Over the course of being treated I fed cyclops,mysis,my mush (cyclops,mysis,table shrimp,zoecon,freeze dried tubifex,garlic, and a little bit of Marine flakes (very little)), a mush I made special for the platy(zoecon,cyclops,mysis,lettuce,java moss leaf,garlic clove,broccoli leaf,and a little zucchini),and egg yolk. Its still possible that it's still parasites since I was not as religious with redosing her tank. She was bought last march and had 3 broods but after July mysteriously stopped , also one odd question here one of her babies grew to nearly 5 inches long!any idea on what the deal with that is?
Her only symptoms are weight loss and she has seemed to have slowed down since the first treatment. But no spots,streaks,fin loss,discoloration,scale loss, or slime coat slewing. 2 other fish I noticed looked thin after I put her in the main tank a female swordtail(bought in August or July) And a male hi fin platy(bought at same time as swordtail) they are both the tuxedo black morph and because of that it took me this long to notice it. After discovering that I put 2 tabs of the parasite clear in the tank (but platy stayed in qt. The swordtail is completely back to normal and may possibly be pregnant! But the hi fin platy died (2days before it become listless and stayed in the top corner of the tank ).
Tank mates are:
Creamsickle Molly (bought 3weeks ago,had 3babies)
Small angelfish (bought last week)
Male hi fin platy (same as angel)
Grey mm platy (had a lot of babies,bought same time as Molly)
Black tuxedo swordtail(July or August)
Guppy pair (same time as swordtail)
Tiger stripe platy (same as Molly)
And all the babies in a 2 1/2 gal also inside the main tank.
The molly had a small ich breakout 3 days ago and I added 20 tablespoons of rock salt and all 3 spots are gone. My main concern is to make sure the platy doesn't have anything dangerous like fish tb.

leebca

I appreciate the concerns and problems your freshwater fish might be facing. However, it has been more than 40 years since I've kept frewshwater fishes. I am not your best source for recommendations, by a long shot. There are freshwater fish forums that you will get much better advice from than I could give. Please try one of those. Speaking in terms of generalities, tumors, cancers, and such doesn't go into remission in fishes. It's a 'one-way' trip to the grave. So a fish with such conditions would not recover.

DaveK

In my opinion, the big problem you have with most FW livebearing fish is that they are bread in massive quanities, and are of extremely low quality. Not too long ago, we got 6 various platies for the office aquarium, and lost all of them. They went through about the same thing your describing.

A couple of things can be checked, but I doubt the fish will get better. However, sometime you do get lucky. Check your GH and KH. Many live bearing fish, including platies like comparativly hard water. Also check your pH it should be slightly alkaline, about 7.2 - 7.4. Adding some salt might also help, but keep in mind that while live bearing fish like salt, some others like catfish and lached do not.

Good luck.

Is it a miracle?

Well for documentation sake I will keep updating.
I went out of time last weekend( only 2 days without food) and when I came home she was in terrible shape ,she just floated in the corner rarely moving and she wouldn't eat anymore..I thought she was almost gone.I did a 75% water change ,added a tablespoon of rock salt,and changed the medication to jungle fungus clear(because last time I treated with this she improved for a little while)and the next day she started eating again! 3 days ago I made a new mush for her (shrimp, cyclops,broccoli,zoecon,and a clove of garlic)and since feeding that she looks even better. Today she looks almost normal except the bottom of her stomach is pinched still , so I'm going to do 2 more treatments of the fungus clear, salt and garlic food to see if she will recover(she swims around a lot and tries to interact with the other fish so I think she might actually recover).

Death!

Well about a month ago she passed ....along with the Molly,angelfish,a goldfish(different tank,had the disease when it was given to me)2 platies( one of them died from buttkickedbymollyosis),and today the swordtail(today the never ending reign of the bipolar swordtail has ended!) she shall never get to kill her third fish!
But the good news is I FOUND THE CURE! it's salt not just one or two tablespoons per gal but about 4! And get this the disease got worse when I fed high quality foods so I fed flakes. I also figured out once the disease starts looking bad it's over they can't be cured. The only fish I saved was a highfin platy who recontracted it from the swordtail (I restarted treatment today). It takes atleast a month to cure a mild case. The swordtail didn't die from the disease directly,I started treatment today in the one gal that the Micky mouse was in and I think I did to much at once. But she was in pretty bad shape she probably only had at max a week I was just going to add some time to her life but I turned out to be an inhumane form of euthanasia:(.....
Also guppies seem to be immune to it ,my pair never even showed signs and I think they are even reproducing..

Last edited: