Help identifying this strange fish

I just cam back from getting my open water diving certification in Destin Florida. While I was relaxing at the shoreline of the beach I came across this fish that was swimming at the very edge of the shoreline. It looks like a cross between a angel and a butterfly. However the face is too rounded to be a butterfly and the dorsal fins to pointed to be a angel.
Could this be some type of batfish???? I know its a wild guess, but I've looked all over for indentification and I can't find anything.

This guy is so docile I picked him up with my bare hands and he's already taking frozen mysis shrimp.

Can someone please indentify what I have. Perhaps some local residents in the Panhandle???

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
By the way, he looks very sick. Those spots are a bad sign... Could be why he was so lethargic when you caught him.

Luckyink,

Thanks for the ID on the fish.

Looking at the fish closeup he seems okay. He's swimming normally, and quite attentive. I put 1/4 of a mysis cube and he just sucked it all down in a matter of seconds.

He's really small....about 2 to 2 1/2 inches in length. Could those spots be juvenile markings?

I know that in the shoreline he looked as if he was pitch black in color. However, once I had him in the hospital tank, the stripes showed up along with the spots.

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
Pitch black in color? Definitely a spadefish. As for the spots, I googled a for a few pics and did find another small spadefish with those same spots. Good thing you stuck him in a Q tank though... Just in case...

Well its all making sense now. Thanks for the help!

I'm guessing this will have to be a fish only candidate. I'm gonna get him up to tip top health before I move him.

He seems to be incredibly friendly for a fish that has just been caught in the wild.