Help ID This Macro Algae

jeeve

I have had this thing in my display tank since day one. Does anyone know what it is and if it's good or bad?

DSC01449.JPG

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
You really cannot tell what that is as it is to far away. It looks like it has grown over a coral head. We need a close-up. Also, how big is it ?

jeeve

Its about the size of a fist. I don't have a better camera. I will try to borrow one from a friend.

cbrownfish

Google - cladophora, derbesia and bryopsis. They are the likely suspects but, as stated, the pic is not suitable for an accurate ID.

lcstorc

Assuming it is codium (and John certainly knows his stuff) it is not really good or bad. Slow grower, some fish eat the fur like stuff on the outside but most don't really eat the codium. I think it is kind of pretty but as always that is a matter of opinion.

jeeve

Thanks for all your help! I am torn about what to do with it because it is in a prime location (top front center) of my tank! If I try to remove it from the rock and more it somewhere else, think it will survive?

reefmasta

yeahh it will survive. should try and get the roots. i think most plants are good to me because they keep my tanks clean. but i wouldnt want it RIGHT in the middle top of my aquarium. i usually have either a refugium or put them in the back of the rocks or side. if it wasnt for plants i dont think i could possibly do this hobby/job everyday. lol

johnmaloney

i think it is C. repens after all. double checked with the field guide and that is about as close as you will get without a microscope. I like the stuff. Herbivores are odd animals, one will devour a plant that another animal of the same species will not. It is definitely edible, and I have seen many a fish, (and sea hare), devour it, but the hairs do appear, like lcstorc mentioned, to be the tastiest parts of the algae. Everything eats the hairs.