Help ID this Frag

RanRoc

I just bought this frag today. I read up on Sarcophytans thinking that this is what it was. The guy at the LFS said it was a Kenya Tree frag, but it was labeled as a "leather frag." I read up on Kenyas and found that the polyps do not retract. The polyps on this frag are obviously retracted. I know it's hard to tell, but any one have a guess? I'll post more pics when the polyps extend; if it survives. Thanx,
-RY

ScottT1980

Expansion picture will probably be best (I am sure you are just waiting for it to expand). Looks interesting though...

Take er easy
Scott T.

addict

definitely looks like a leather of some sort... maybe a sinularia spp.?
Like Scott pointed out... once it's expanded it'll be easier to tell.

RanRoc

That's what I figured. I hope it'll make thru the night. It's pretty white right now. Thanks guys.
-RY

ReefLady

Staff member
I read this and thought, “I sure seem to remember my capnella closing up.” Sure enough, here’s a pic of jimeluis’s all closed up.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2870&highlight=capnella

I can see patterns in the structure that look very distinctly “capnella” to me.

BTW I think it will be fine, unless some other sressing factor becomes involved. Just let it sit and mope for a day or three and it should open for you.

T

RanRoc

Thanx Travis. Didn't know that they did close up. Although it seems in jimeluis's that the individual polyps aren't retracted, or pulled into the body like in my pic. Maybe I just can't see it in that pic. I'll keep the board posted.
-RY

addict

If it's white it could also be something like a Rasta Leather. A buddy of mine has a white one in his tank, and it's an awesome specimen.

RanRoc

Ok, today the polyps expanded. This morning I tried to impale it on a plastic toothpick, but the "skin" was so tough it wouldn't go thru. The glue only held it for a while, but it moved itself off the glue and fell. Right now I think/hope that it is slowly mounting itself on the rock.

RanRoc

I still have my doubts as to whether it's a Kenya Tree; doesn't look like the ones in Borneman's book. I'm thinking a finger leather??? I could be wrong.
-RY

ReefLady

Staff member
Looks like a speckled leather to me, and has the characteristics too. A kenya tree would be pretty easy to impale.

I was told it's cladiella sp. but I have heard it's a sinulara sp. as well. Here are a couple frags of my speckled leather:

3speckledfrag9607WEB-med.jpg

ReefLady

Staff member
BTW this is probably my fastest-growing leather... very hardy, and pretty, and gives me frags as often as I feel like cutting them off.

T

RanRoc

Travis,
I saw that in your gallery earlier today. I meant to PM you about that, but I'm glad that you caught this post. I'm thinking the same thing as you are. I'm leaning more toward the cladiella species, as well. I hope it's just like yours, growing fast etc. Thank you, my friend.
-RY

ReefLady

Staff member
Yup, this one lays down a base, I wouldn't call it encrusting, at least in my case, but close.

RanRoc, no problem bud, and I'm sure if it is the same coral that it will do just as well for you. Not a tough one by any stretch, and has been a wonderful candidate for propagation for me. I can puncture the frags to sew them to the rock, but it takes a sharp needle and some effort. I've almost punctured my thumb on the dull end of the needle trying to push it through! LOL

T

Cosmic

It's surely not a capnella tree coral. FWIW, it doesn't look much like a cladiella either, which would be much softer and easier to pierce through. Slimy is another definite characteristic of cladiella.

I'm going with sinularia based on the polyp extension and comments above. Sinularia will be much tougher consistency than a cladiella (AKA Klyyxum, or colt coral these days). It's times like this that you get the impression of just HOW futile common names are for corals ;)

Other possibilities in my mind would be Lobophytum leather, or possibly an Alcyonium species of leather.
Any chance of getting a close up so we can see the polyps up close?

Cos

ReefLady

Staff member
Hey Cos, judging by your description I don't think mine is a cladiella either, what sci. name would you put on that coral? I'm pretty sure it's a sinularia sp., "fuzzy leather" and "speckled leather" are two common names I've heard. I can def. get you closer shots of the polyps. :D

Cosmic

It's hard to say Travis... When you say it doesn't fit my description, what in particular are you refering to?

It's been my experience that the cladiellas are by FAR the slimiest and hardest to attach of all the soft corals I've dealt with. The best I can do is liken it to working with thick stalks of xenia, as to it's texture and feel.
I may have thrown you off a bit by saying it's "softer" as well. It's actually tough to pierce through, although it's consistency is more "gooey", if that makes any bit of sense...LOL

If yours isn't slimy, I'd be more apt to move it into the Alcyonium or lobophytum genus', with sinularia being a possibility also. To be more certain, that close-up of the polyps would do miracles though ;)

As a side note, Borneman's book also mentions that Cladiellas will almost ALWAYS come in cream to grey-white colors, with Alcyoniums ranging from brown to yellow. Note that this is a generality only and not set in stone.

-HTH-
Cos

RanRoc

OK...mine isn't slimy at all. It feels like tough leather. I couldn't even put a dent into the tissue and the toothpick was pretty sharp. I'll try to get that close up for you guys. My camera stinks especially trying to get a macro shot.
-RY