Help!! Ich!! Asap

Cartman89

Puffer has ich and is in the QT (hyposalinity) I just noticed my lion getting ich now. Can I place the lion in with the puffer?????????????? HELP PLEASE! I have a 10gal QT tank. Advice needed!

mps9506

I would suggest dosing coppersafe in the QT. That will work great in conjunction with the hyposalinity. Also remember as long as you have fish in your display tank you will still have the chance for an ick outbreak every few weeks unless you make your display tank fishless for a few weeks so the parasite has no hosts.
Anther question... Are you planning on making this a FOWLER tank or plan on turning into a reef tank at some point? If you are not keeping or planning on keeping inverts I would just go ahead and treat the display with copper.

Cartman89

The lion has the worst part of the ich. I would treat my disply tank but I have an eel and inverts in the tank. The trigger has no sign of ich...knock on wood. The lion and puffer seem like they are OK in the qt so far.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Cartman89 said:
Puffer has ich and is in the QT (hyposalinity) I just noticed my lion getting ich now. Can I place the lion in with the puffer?????????????? HELP PLEASE! I have a 10gal QT tank. Advice needed!

A 10gal is just way too small to keep both a lion and a puffer together, I don't see any way of keeping the ammonia levels in check for 4-6 weeks !

blue_eyes53813

I have been going through the same thing cartman... I left my fish in the display tank and fed/soaked all food in garlic and eliminated the stress for the fish. I also used selcon vitamins. try to make the fish as comfortable as possible and they may beable to fight it off.

reefsilly

I would never treat the display tank. I have had new fish get ick
and I always let it run it's coarse. Healthy fish will over come ick; is something going on like stress, temperature changes #1 cause, new addition to the tank

Last edited:

Jorgens

I would just go to wal-mart and spend a few $$ on a bit larger Q-tank. After considering the price of your captives, another $50-$100 for a 29-55gal bare-bones Quarintine is minimal!!
They have complete with filter ready to go systems. Not 5 diamond by any means..but good enuff for that purpose!
But thats me...

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Healthy fish do not get ick there must be something going on like stress, temperature changes #1 cause

I disagree ! The parasite doesn't discriminate, any fish wether healthy or stressed can become infected, although I agree the infection is usually noticed first on the stressed fish it doesn't mean the rest of the fish aren't at risk. If the infection isn't severe and if the fish is eating well they can usually overcome it or develop immunity but there are no guarantees.

Cartman89

Well the QT is cloudy but no signs of Ammonia, Nitrite, or Nitrate. Fish seem fine. Will try and feed them tomorrow. Also it's my mistake. I should of treated the puffer when I got him. There was a few white spots on his fin, no big deal right? Well.... look where he's at now.

reefsilly

Okay I posted quick What I meant to say was healty fish can overcome ick! Often a fish can develop partial resistance to future attacks which is often referred to as partial immunity - the range of partial immunity is apparently very broad with some fish showing nominal resistance while other fish can show significant resistance.
A good read!
http://home2.pacific.net.ph/%7Esweetyummy42/ich.html

Quarantine EVERYTHING!!..the fish, the rock, the sand, the corals, EVERYTHING!