Help.. I really screwed up =(

s2k750

Long story short, I've had my 125 tank running for a few years with tons of corals, amazing growth and i couldn't be happier. Then I got bored and started tinkering to try to make my setup as silent as possible.

This lead me to searching on the forums where I found some stuff called "SORBOTHANE" which really does work. Its a rubber that works flawless for cutting down on vibration for skimmer, return pump etc.

Here's where i dropped the ball........ I missed the part about keeping it in a ziplock bag so now it has leached into my tank and killed almost all my coral. My fish are fine though.

Ive restarted my tank with little luck. Now my new corals are dying, but not as quickly. I cleaned everything top to bottom and let my rocks sit outside for a few days. Gave them a good rinse and let them sit in salt water with a pump running for 24 hours, then another tub of fresh salt for 24 hours.

I'm not sure what the F else to do besides buy new sand again and new rock this time around.

Just incase someone suggests some chemical treatments... I'm running carbon, brs gfo and chemipure blue. I was told to try poly filter by my lfs, but they have never dealt with this before and said to try this before a bleach and bake of my rocks if i wanted to avoid new ones.

Thank you in advance!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorbothane

"The material combines some of the properties of rubber, silicone, and other elastic polymers. It is considered to be a good vibration damping material, an acoustic insulator, and highly durable. An unusually high amount of the energy from an object dropped onto Sorbothane is absorbed. The feel and damping qualities of Sorbothane have been likened to those of meat.

Sorbothane is a visco-elastic material, meaning that it exhibits properties of both liquids (viscoussolutions) and solids (elastic materials), with a relaxation time of two seconds.[4] Because visco-elastic behavior is desirable in shock and vibration applications, many materials claim to be viscoelastic; however, many of these materials have only trace viscoelastic properties.[citation needed]

Similar materials include polynorbornene, Noene, and Astro-sorb."

Dracko

Product contains Isocyanate. I have worked with that in other applications. I don't know that it is your problem, but it's some nasty stuff. But it will eventually dissipate.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sorry you are having such tough luck!! :confused:
Hope you are not even going to trust the ziploc bags to use it now either.
Going FOWLR might have to be an option for a year but even then, I'd wonder what affect it was having on the fish. :fishy::fishy::fishy:
The sounds my tank make have become rather soothing to me, kinda like sounds of the ceiling fan running in the bedroom at night.
I might be weird that I am so used to the sounds that
Quiet is not better to me. :rolleyes:

Glad you posted this...might save someone from the same mistake.

Dracko

Sorry you are having such tough luck!! :confused:
Hope you are not even going to trust the ziploc bags to use it now either.
Going FOWLR might have to be an option for a year but even then, I'd wonder what affect it was having on the fish. :fishy::fishy::fishy:
The sounds my tank make have become rather soothing to me, kinda like sounds of the ceiling fan running in the bedroom at night.
I might be weird that I am so used to the sounds that
Quiet is not better to me. :rolleyes:

Glad you posted this...might save someone from the same mistake.

If he got it out quickly the tank water should dilute the chem enough, I think. But corals can be much easily affected. But , yes, keep an eye on the fish. AND YES, i would not even trust a plastic bag. I have worked with this chemical and I cannot believe that it would be used in something for aquariums, as it is not listed in the msds for any food application.

soco

Wow I'm so sorry to hear about your bad situation. I don't know anything about that sort of thing but will def be watching along for some new knowledge. Good luck and I hope someone can help!

Oxylebius

If you believe that your rocks absorbed some the the unknown chemicals from the material, I recommend using poly filter (here is a good write-up on what it extracts: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335)

I also recommend you send off some water samples to see what chemicals leached into the system. I'd look into sending your water off to either Aqua Medic Water Testing or Triton labs. There may be others as well, those are the two I can think of off the top of my head.

Dracko

If you believe that your rocks absorbed some the the unknown chemicals from the material, I recommend using poly filter (here is a good write-up on what it extracts: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4335)

I also recommend you send off some water samples to see what chemicals leached into the system. I'd look into sending your water off to either Aqua Medic Water Testing or Triton labs. There may be others as well, those are the two I can think of off the top of my head.
Isocyanate is water soluble. The pads labeling does not say anything about this type of chemical, but the things it does remove are all water soluble. I would think they might help, but can offer no proof.

DaveK

When you say you restarted the tank, do you mean you tore the tank down, and re-set it up with new water?

If so, I think you have done about everything you can do for the moment, and it's a question of waiting it out, and seeing what occurs. The main damage has already been done. Considering what occurred, I think you handled it as well as you could. Thank for telling us about it, since it may have saved someone else from the same mistake.

If it's any consolation, just about everyone in the hobby has had a major self induced problem. I've done this a lot of times too.