Help! Help! Help! Help!

Nicole and Jay

The glass tube around the heater broke inside of the tank and was like that for awhile before I found it. The internal workings of the heater were exposed and sparking inside the water. There is a toxic smell coming from the tank now. The fish look fine but the mushroom coral look stressed. The smell burns my eyes and it smells like sulfur. Is this a danger to us? What should I do?

lcstorc

Unplug and remove the heater.
Run carbon.
I would add additional circulation or an air-stone but that is just a gut reaction not actual knowledge.

blue_eyes53813

How is the livestock doing? You said it was in there for awhile.. Most livestock would of been dead or showing signs of stress if there was a real danger..

But I agree with Lynn. Run carbon, water changes, increase flow and oxygen exchange... Wouldnt be a bad idea to mix extra fresh saltwater just incase the tank starts to decline... Good luck..

chipmunkofdoom2

Bad times. Good luck cleaning up that mess.

Everybody use this as a reminder to check your heater regularly! If there's condensation inside, it needs to go. Same goes for cracks (obviously) or settings being off.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Carbon and a water change(s) would help remove any chemicals.

GFI, ground fault interrupter. Make sure you have your reefing items plugged into one of these. It could save your life.

NCguy

WiseGuy
After you clean everything up,get yourself a Visi-Therm Stealth heater and you won't have to worry about that happening again.