Help. Corals shriveled up after water change

Foreclosefl

I have a 130 rsm. Typically do a 3 gal water change weekly. This week I did a 6 because I've been getting some brown algae on my sand bed. I also changed my carbon and gfo. Within 20 min of the change everything started shriveling up. Never had this before with a water change or when changing carbon/gfo. Yes I rinsed it in tap water but shook out all the excess prior to putting it in the same way I always do. Tested all my perimeters and everything is withing range.

Salinity 1.025
Calc 420
Alk 9.5
Mag 1520. Little high
Trate 2
Trite 0
Ph 7.8. Little low

Any help would be great. Here are before and after pics.
0d7cd03263880ed020911d255f8c0565.jpg
d70e4f8af67873cbd1db094342487f55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puffermike

How about temp? With you doubling the amount you normally change to 6 it could have changed it. For instance if the temp was off 10 degrees with your new water the corals will stress a little and then eventually go back to normal though.

Foreclosefl

Water was close in temp. Tank dropped maybe 2 degrees.
As of this afternoon they look like they are starting to open up slightly. Hopefully by morning I'll be close to back to normal.

Joeys Tank

pH of 7.8 is before or after the WC? Wondering if that kind of drop means there was something off with the salt mix that went into that last change. Dosing anything? When I carbon dose, I notice a slight drop in pH (8.3 to 8.2) and then it comes back. If you are dosing, I would look to your setup and see if anything is dosing too much. Great thought on temp. A 2 degree drop mostly likely didn't cause it but if it was combined with other things .....

Glad to hear they are starting to come back. This makes me think it was something with the salt mixture.

Foreclosefl

Sorry for the delay in getting back. 7.8 was after. Before I didn't test that week but normally about 8. As of thismorning things are starting to look better. My trumpets still aren't puffed back up but don't look dead anymore.

NanaReefer

How fast are you adding new mix back into your DT? Sounds like a case of shock to me. See it all the time. Corals get use to water one way, then it's quickly changed (even small changes) can/will surprise the life right out of them. Then they need time to recover.