HELP: Clownfish laid eggs, dont know what to do

mrlimpet

We have a 55 gallon reef tank and two clownfish along with a flame angel, yellow tang, blue hippo tang. The clownfish just laid eggs near the riterri anemone we have. We are primarely begginners so we need help. Please help tell me how to breed aned what i should do before they hatch! Also i really need your help NOW because male clown is eating eggs! We dont have equipment for new tank though.
Thanks!

Last edited:

sandyc

Congratulations! The good news is your fish are breeding and will continue to do so at regular intervals. If you want to rear the fry it would be best to look on the breeding forum. Woodstock has an informative thread on rearing clownfish babies. I also have a thread but I do not have the experience she does. I have my first successful hatch that are now three weeks old. I would be happy to help with questions.

The bad news is you will need to do preparation before you can sucessfully raise the fry. You will need to set up a hatching tank, raise rotifers (first food) and obtain decapsulated baby brine shrimp eggs.

Best to let this hatch go and start reading, reading and reading. Take heart in the fact that now that your pair has bred, they will do so again. You will be ready next time.

sandyc

It is not uncommon for the parents to eat their first couple batches of eggs. They are beginners and will get better at this. My fish ate their first 3 batches of eggs. Up their nutrition. Feed mush or Rods food.

They will get the hang of this. In the mean time, prepare for the next batch.

I know this may sound harsh and you want to save the babies. It is out of your hands this time around.

sandyc

could i use this instead of having to get another tank?
net breeder, Home Garden items on eBay.com

The rotifers would swim through the holes so the density of rotifers would be impossible to keep at the recomended 15 per mL.

I use a very basic bare bottom 10 gallon tank with a heater and airstone. The light is a leftover 15 watt light fixture. That's it. The only accessories are a thermometer and an ammonia badge.

Some people use a 5 gallon tank for hatching.:bigbounce